Rampage Sign Mike Mottau and Jonathan Sim to PTOs
SAN ANTONIO (December 7, 2012) - San Antonio Rampage General Manager Mike Santos announced today that the American Hockey League (AHL) club has signed defenseman Mike Mottau and forward Jonathan Sim to professional try-outs (PTO).
Mottau, 34, played the last five seasons in the National Hockey League, splitting time between the New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders and Boston Bruins. The Quincy, Mass., native has totaled 313 NHL games throughout his career, recording seven goals and 51 assists from the blueline. Last year, Mottau tallied two assists in 29 games with the Islanders and also played six games with the Bruins. The 6-foot, 193-pound defenseman has eight years of experience (2000-07) in the American Hockey League. In his time in the AHL, he recorded 279 points (47 goals, 232 assists) in 463 games.
Sim, 35, brings nearly 500 games of NHL experience to the Rampage roster. The New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, native has played in 469 NHL games, recording 75 goals and 64 assists. Sim has played for eight different NHL teams, including the Florida Panthers in 2005-06, with his most productive campaign coming in the 2006-07 season with the Atlanta Thrashers where he tallied 17 goals and 12 assists in 77 games. Sim has also totaled 172 games in the AHL, averaging just shy of a point per game (94 goals, 77 assists, 171 points). The 5-foot-10, 190-pound winger spent the last two years playing overseas in Switzerland, the Czech Republic and Germany.
The Rampage wrapped up their longest road trip to date on Wednesday, posting a 4-1-0-0 record. The team returns home tomorrow (Saturday) for the first of a two-game set against the Oklahoma City Barons. The game will also mark the 9th annual Salute to the Badges Night, with local firefighters and law enforcement officers being honored throughout the game. Individual, and season, tickets start at $10 and can be purchased by calling a Rampage representative at 210.444.5554 or online at sarampage.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2012
- Wolves Send Blain to Idaho - Chicago Wolves
- Houston Sneaks by Texas 2-1 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Crunch Power Past Bulldogs - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Unable to Answer Four Straight Checkers Goals - Cleveland Monsters
- Houston Aeros Take Down Texas in OT, Win Sixth Straight - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Whitewashed by Griffins, 3-0 - Chicago Wolves
- Couturier Birthday Goal Not Enough - Adirondack Phantoms
- Checkers End Skid in Style - Charlotte Checkers
- B-Sens Pummel Pirates, 6-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Knapp Earns First Pro Win as Amerks Top Phantoms, 3-1 - Rochester Americans
- Lightning RODney Not Enough Spark - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Fall to Bears in Overtime Five-game winning streak comes to an end - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- CRUNCH BITE DOGS 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Marshall's First Gives Bears Overtime Victory over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Fall Short in Gutsy Effort - St. John's IceCaps
- Atkinson Comes through Late, Boosts Falcons by IceCaps - Springfield Falcons
- Providence Defeats Manchester 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Rampage Sign Mike Mottau and Jonathan Sim to PTOs - San Antonio Rampage
- New Year's Eve High School Hockey Faceoff Tournament Lineup Announced - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Houston Aeros Recall Mike Montgomery from Allen - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen 12 Days of Christmas Starts Monday - Peoria Rivermen
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- McDonald Named Sound Tigers Captain - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Announce Details Of December 30 White Sock Drive - Springfield Falcons
- Albany Devils Host Teddy Bear Toss on December 15th - Albany Devils
- Cigna and the Connecticut Whale Continue "Hockey in the Streets" Program - Connecticut Whale
- Visit the Amerks Table at Eastview Mall this Weekend - Rochester Americans
- First Place IceHogs Home Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At St. John's, Game #21 - Springfield Falcons
- Kuemper Reassigned to Orlando, Houston Aeros Sign Curry - Houston Aeros
- Even Scoring Paces Monsters to Win - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Rampage Stories
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Goaltenders Andrew Hammond and Spencer Martin to San Antonio
- San Antonio Reassigns Goaltender Sam Brittain to Colorado Eagles
- Rampage Take Down Western Conference-Leading Moose in 4-2 Fashion
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update
- Rampage Power Past Monsters for 30th Win in 4-0 Shutout