Ramos, Beavers deal shutout to close out 2009 season on high note
PORTLAND, Ore. - Cesar Ramos tossed six-plus scoreless innings, Craig Stansberry hit a three-run double and the Portland Beavers concluded the 2009 season with a 5-0 victory over the Las Vegas 51s before 9,791 Monday afternoon at PGE Park.
Russ Adams was 2-for-4 with two runs scored, and relievers Edwin Moreno and Mike Ekstrom teamed with Ramos on the four-hit shutout effort.
Ramos (5-6) held the 51s (71-73) to just one hit over the first six innings. The left-hander, who pitched to two batters in the seventh before exiting, struck out four and allowed just three hits and two walks for the win.
The Beavers (60-84) took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second, getting two-out RBI singles from Sean Kazmar and Jason Hagerty. Stansberry's bases-loaded double with two outs in the fourth gave Portland and Ramos a solid, 5-0 advantage.
Las Vegas threatened in the seventh, loading the bases against Ramos and Moreno, who coaxed a strikeout and a double-play grounder to keep the 51s off the board.
The loss went to Randy Boone (0-2), who gave up five runs, six hits and two walks while fanning four across four innings of work.
Monday's game wrapped up the season for both the Beavers and 51s.
NOTES: Before the game, the Padres recalled pitcher Sean Gallagher from Portland ... Ramos drew a standing ovation after exiting in the seventh ... Beavers players and coaches greeted fans and signed autographs on the field after the game as part of Fan Appreciation Weekend.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 7, 2009
- Tacoma Rainiers win Division Championship - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma romps Colorado Springs, 11-2 - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats to face Tacoma Rainiers in first round of PCL playoffs - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces go out with a bang, down Fresno 11-4 - Reno Aces
- Ramos, Beavers deal shutout to close out 2009 season on high note - Portland Beavers
- Nashville rallies past Zephyrs, 8-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Wrap Up 2009 Slate With 8-3 Victory - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Drop Regular Season Finale to Albuquerque - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks rally late, down 'Birds - Memphis Redbirds
- Gall steals show in Round Rock win - Round Rock Express
- Gall Retires After 10 Years In Baseball - Round Rock Express
- McKiernan Reassigned to Rancho Cucamonga - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss