Rainiers Power Past Zephyrs
Tacoma, WA - The Tacoma Rainiers packed on the power in an 11-3 win over New Orleans at Cheney Stadium on Sunday, completing the team's first series sweep of the season.
Tacoma enlisted the help of the long ball in the victory, recording six runs off a season-high five home runs. The long balls recorded by the Rainiers are the most the team has hit in a single game since equaling that total on the road against Las Vegas on August 27, 2007.
The first was delivered in the bottom of the third with infielder Matt Mangini's solo shot that started what would be a two-run inning for the Rainiers. Mike Carp and Eliezer Alfonzo both went deep in the next inning to help tie a season-high with five runs in the fourth.
Carp and outfielder Greg Halman accounted for both the team's runs in the sixth after posting the Rainiers first back-to-back homers of the season.
The first baseman Carp put together a banner performance for the Rainiers, going 3-for-5 with three RBI, including his second two-home run game of the season. New Orleans' Mike Lamb was responsible for driving in two of the Zephyrs three runs in a 1-for-5 effort.
Tacoma starter Steven Shell recorded the win after limiting New Orleans to just three runs despite giving up 12 hits with two walks and six strikeouts. The loss went to Zephyrs starter Brian Lawrence, who gave up eight runs on eight hits through 4.2 innings.
The Rainiers continue their eight-game homestand on Monday night when they welcome the Oklahoma City RedHawks to Cheney Stadium. Left-hander Chris Seddon will go to the mound for Tacoma in the series opener against RedHawks lefty Michael Ballard. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
For season tickets, group or Muckleshoot Casino Party Deck information call (253) 752-7707, email email@example.com or visit our website at www.tacomarainiers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 23, 2010
- RedHawks Survive Three Rain Delays to Beat Beavers, 3-2 - Portland Beavers
- Sounds Lose 4-3, Split Series with Fresno - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Power Past Zephyrs - Tacoma Rainiers
- Zephyrs Get Swept Away in Tacoma - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Cardenas Smacks Grand Slam in Sacramento Win - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Walk Off with 5-4 Win over Reno - Reno Aces
- Express Bowl Reno 5-4 to Split Series - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Push Winning Streak to Six - Iowa Cubs
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Game Notes May 23, 2010 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators
- Misiewicz Dominant to Propel Rainiers to Second-Straight Win in Las Vegas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno