Express Bowl Reno 5-4 to Split Series
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Jason Bourgeois tripled to left-center with one out in the bottom of the ninth, scoring Collin DeLome from first base and giving the Round Rock Express a 5-4 victory over the Reno Aces in Sunday's series finale at The Dell Diamond. The Express (19-24) snapped a four-game losing streak in one-run games and salvaged a split in the series against the Aces (21-23) with the win.
DeLome bounced a seeing-eye single through the right side with one out in the ninth. Bourgeois followed with a deep fly to left-center that bounced at the base of the wall just out of the reach of Reno center fielder Cole Gillespie. DeLome and the ball reached home at virtually the same time, but DeLome bowled Aces catcher Carlos Corporan; the ball rolled free, and DeLome slapped home plate with his right hand for the win.
Round Rock earned its first victory in a series finale this season, snapping a 10-game skid in such games. The Express have not lost a series since dropping three-of-four April 29 through May 2 at Albuquerque, winning two series and splitting three in that time.
Yorman Bazardo (1-0) earned the victory in relief for the Express; he allowed one hit in a scoreless inning of work with one strikeout. Tim Byrdak, on a rehab assignment, allowed a run on one hit and a walk in the first inning. Andy Van Hekken took over from there and allowed three runs, two earned, on seven hits and no walks with five strikeouts over 7.0 innings.
Luis Ayala (1-4) took the loss for the Aces in relief after entering the game to start the ninth. Starter Kevin Mulvey worked 5.1 innings allowed four runs on seven hits and a walk with one strikeout. Jose Marte tossed 2.2 scoreless innings of relief, scattering a hit and striking out three.
Gillespie's first-inning sacrifice fly gave Reno the game's first lead, but Matt Kata's two-run double in the bottom of the inning erased the deficit and gave the Express a 2-1 lead. Reno tied the game in the top of the second on Corporan's two-out solo homer, only to see the Express recapture the lead on Kata's RBI single in the bottom of the third.
Round Rock held on to that 3-2 lead until the sixth. Gillespie reached on an error to open the frame, and Ryan Roberts followed with a two-run homer to give the Aces a 4-3 lead. Once again, the Express quickly answered. Brian Bogusevic singled to start the bottom of the sixth and later scored on Brian Esposito's RBI single.
Kata finished 2-for-4 with three RBI, all of which came with two outs. He extended his hitting streak to 11 games, the longest by an Express player this season. Kata has 10 multiple-hit games in that time, including each of the last five games to match his own team-best multiple-hit-games streak this season. Bourgeois was 2-for-5 with a stolen base, while Chris Johnson was 1-for-4 with two runs scored to extend his hitting streak to eight games.
Roberts, Doug Deeds and Ed Rogers all had two-hit games for the Aces.
Round Rock continues its third home stand of the season Monday, starting a four-game series against the Las Vegas 51s (Toronto Blue Jays). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. CDT at The Dell Diamond. Southpaw Wesley Wright (2-0, 4.20 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Express, while right-hander Marty McLeary (0-2, 9.00 ERA) is slated to start for the 51s.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 23, 2010
- RedHawks Survive Three Rain Delays to Beat Beavers, 3-2 - Portland Beavers
- Sounds Lose 4-3, Split Series with Fresno - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Power Past Zephyrs - Tacoma Rainiers
- Zephyrs Get Swept Away in Tacoma - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Cardenas Smacks Grand Slam in Sacramento Win - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Walk Off with 5-4 Win over Reno - Reno Aces
- Express Bowl Reno 5-4 to Split Series - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Push Winning Streak to Six - Iowa Cubs
- Oklahoma City RedHawks Game Notes May 23, 2010 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- 2020 Round Rock Classic Kicks off Friday Night at Dell Diamond
- Kirk Saarloos to be Inducted into Round Rock Express Hall of Fame
- Houston Astros Futures Weekend Returns to Dell Diamond April 4
- Full Round Rock Express 2020 Promotional Schedule Released
- Theme Nights Highlight 2020 Round Rock Express Schedule