Rainiers Late Rally Falls Short As Bees Win, 8-7
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - A ninth-inning rally fell just short for the Tacoma Rainiers (56-59) in an 8-7 loss to the Salt Lake Bees (62-54) on Thursday night at Smith's Ballpark.
The Tacoma offense slapped 16 hits and drew three walks on the night - they were led by a 3-for-5 performance by third baseman Gordon Beckham that included two runs scored, two doubles, and two RBI. Center fielder Ben Gamel (2x5, 2 R, 2B), first baseman Daniel Vogelbach (2x5, 2B, 3 RBI), catcher David Freitas (2x4, 2B, RBI, BB), right fielder Andrew Aplin (2x4, 2B, BB), designated hitter Cameron Perkins (2x5, R, 2B), and shortstop Zach Vincej (2x4, 2 R) all collected multiple hits as well.
Rainiers starting pitcher Bryan Evans (4-2) worked just 2.2 innings and allowed five runs (three earned) on seven hits. He issued one walk, struck out three, and threw 69 pitches (42 strikes) while taking just his second loss of the season.
Tyler Higgins relieved Bergman and worked 2.1 scoreless innings - he allowed just one walk and struck out one. Roenis Elias (1.0 IP) and Justin Grimm (1.0 IP) both tossed scoreless innings of relief, while Mike Morin (1.0 IP) allowed three runs on three hits (two home runs).
The Rainiers and Bees continue their series on Friday night at 6:05 p.m. PT. Tacoma will start right-hander Christian Bergman (7-8, 5.35), and will go up against Salt Lake righty Luis Pena (4-3, 5.56).
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2018 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 9, 2018
- Rainiers Late Rally Falls Short As Bees Win, 8-7 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Take Down Rainiers - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Come from Behind to Take First Game at Oklahoma City - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Down Dodgers in Series Opener, 2-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chasers Roll in Round Rock, 9-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Pitching Controls Iowa's 1-0 Loss to New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Alcantara, Three 'Cakes Relievers Shutout Cubs 1-0 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno Grizzlies Playoff Tickets on Sale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (59-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-52) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Rangers OF Nomar Mazara Joins Express on Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 9, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (71-44) At Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-51) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds to Host "Paradise at the Park" Promotion for Saturday, September 1 - Nashville Sounds
- Tickets on Sale Now for the 2nd Annual Bourbon & Barbeque - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Ashley Schutt Named Pacific Coast League Woman Executive of the Year
- 2018 Tacoma Rainiers Season Review
- Tacoma Rainiers and Seattle Mariners Announce Four-Year Extension of Player Development Contract
- Rainiers Wrap Season With 5-4 Victory Over Chihuahuas
- Rainiers Toppled By Chihuahuas, 9-4