RailCats Unable to Complete Sweep with 10-6 to Loss Goldeyes
WINNIPEG, Manitoba, Canada - A nine-run bottom of the second inning from Winnipeg was too much for Gary to overcome on Sunday afternoon in the series finale at Shaw Park as the RailCats fell to the Goldeyes, 10-6, with 5,400 in attendance. Despite Sunday's loss, Gary claimed their first series win of the month after beating the back-to-back American Association Champions on Friday and Saturday.
Winnipeg (24-32) brought 12 to the plate and scored seven of their nine second-inning runs with two outs. Jordan Ebert gave the fish their first lead of the series with an RBI single to center, the first of four hits on the day by Ebert. Tyler Baker then made it 2-0 with an RBI double before Tucker Nathans doubled the Goldeyes lead to four with a two-run single to right. Back-to-back RBI singles from Josh Romanski and Josh McAdams gave Winnipeg a six-run advantage before Josh Mazzola made it 9-0 with a three-run home run to left-center.
Gary (27-26) got on the board on D.K. Carey's two-out, three-run home run into the trees in left-center field in the third. Back-to-back two-out singles from Will Savage and Alex Crosby gave the 'Cats runners on first and second before Carey went deep for the second time this season.
The Goldeyes received their final run of the afternoon on Mazzola's two-out home run in the sixth. The homer was Mazzola's second of the day and just stayed fair inside the left field foul pole.
The RailCats cut the Winnipeg lead to 10-4 on Will Savage's sacrifice fly in the seventh before scoring their final two runs on the day on back-to-back sacrifice flies from Ronnie Mitchell and Andy Paz in the eighth. Lars Liguori (1-6) was charged with the loss after allowing a career-high 10 runs (two earned) on a career-most 15 hits, two walks and two strikeouts. The Gary bullpen didn't allow a run in nine innings in the series after Jack Fowler struck out a pair in a perfect bottom of the eighth.
Alex Boshers (3-5) recorded his third win in his third start this year against Gary. The right-hander allowed three runs over six innings on eight hits, walked none and struck out none.
Gary is idle on Monday before continuing their six-game, seven-day road trip on Tuesday night at 7:02 against the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks. LHP Alex Gunn makes his league-high-tying 13th start for Gary against Fargo-Moorhead LHP Sebastian Kessay (3-2, 2.81).
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Friday, July 20th vs. the St. Paul Saints. Friday's game is Kevin "Bacon" Night and includes bacon-themed concession specials, as well as another Fifth Third Bank Fireworks Friday.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 15, 2018
- Saltdogs and X's Suspended in Fifth Inning - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Explorers and Saltdogs Game Suspended Due to Rain - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Set for Home Doubleheader Tomorrow After Wichita Loss - Texas AirHogs
- Quick, But Painful as Saints Saints Six-Game Win Streak Snapped in 5-2 Loss to T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Folman, Home Runs Lead Canaries to Win over RedHawks - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Nester, Thomas Power Wingnuts to Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Unable to Complete Sweep with 10-6 to Loss Goldeyes - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes End Monster Stretch with Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- KC Ends Three-Game Slide, Taking out St. Paul 5-2 - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's with Comeback Win over Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Squander Lead in Long, Bizarre Game in Sioux City - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener
- RailCats Swept by Goldeyes in Final Road Game of Season
- Sinibaldi's Stellar Start Not Enough in 3-2 Loss to Goldeyes