Quick, But Painful as Saints Saints Six-Game Win Streak Snapped in 5-2 Loss to T-Bones
KANSAS CITY, KS - The St. Paul Saints played their quickest game of the season at two hours and 13 minutes. That was mainly because of Kansas City T-Bones starter Tommy Collier, who struck out 10, and the Saints struck out a season tying high 11 times. They were unable to sweep a four-game series at CommunityAmerica Ballpark for the first time in franchise history as their six-game win streak came to an end in a 5-2 loss to the Kansas City T-Bones. The loss drops the Saints to 31-24 on the season.
Trevor Foss got his second start with the Saints and was greeted in the first inning by former Major Leaguer Colin Walsh, who deposited a solo homer to right, his first of the season, making it 1-0.
In the third with one on and two out Foss walked Walsh to put runners at first and second. Nick Torres knocked home a run with an RBI double to make it 2-0. Former Saint Noah Perio Jr. then doubled home a pair making it 4-0.
The Saints struggled to do much against Collier not getting their first hit until a leadoff single by Matt Snyder in the third. Collier struck out the side in the fourth and struck out eight through the first 4.0 innings.
The Saints finally got to Collier in the sixth when Max Murphy reached on an infield single to third. Kyle Barrett extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a single to right moving Murphy to third. With two outs Brady Shoemaker knocked home a pair with a double down the third base line making it 4-2.
The T-Bones answered right back in the bottom of the inning when Perio Jr. led off with a single to right. With one out Keith Curcio singled to right moving Perio Jr. to third. Dexter Kjerstad then hit a slow grounder to third that Dante Bichette Jr. fielded and was able to get the force out at second, but Zach Walters dropped the ball on the transfer which allowed Perio Jr. to score.
The Saints would not get another runner on base as the T-Bones retired the final 10 hitters. Collier went 8.0 innings allowing two runs on five hits while striking out 10.
The Saints have Monday off and begin a three-game series on Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. against the Sioux City Explorers at Mercy Field at Lewis and Clark Park. The Saints send RHP Matt Solter (1-4, 4.50) to the mound and the Explorers are TBA. The game can be heard on Alt 93.3 FM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 15, 2018
- Saltdogs and X's Suspended in Fifth Inning - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Explorers and Saltdogs Game Suspended Due to Rain - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Set for Home Doubleheader Tomorrow After Wichita Loss - Texas AirHogs
- Quick, But Painful as Saints Saints Six-Game Win Streak Snapped in 5-2 Loss to T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Folman, Home Runs Lead Canaries to Win over RedHawks - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Nester, Thomas Power Wingnuts to Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Unable to Complete Sweep with 10-6 to Loss Goldeyes - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes End Monster Stretch with Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- KC Ends Three-Game Slide, Taking out St. Paul 5-2 - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's with Comeback Win over Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Squander Lead in Long, Bizarre Game in Sioux City - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- More Firepower as Saints Add Two Additional Arms, Sign Former All-Star Spencer Jones, Re-Sign Mike Devine
- A Chance for Dreams to Become Reality, Saints to Hold Open Tryouts May 2
- Bye Bye Burty, Power Hitting Reynolds Returns to Saints
- Super Utility, Saints Sign Versatile Chesny Young
- Get a Look at the "Backside" of a Moon(ing) as Saints Release All 50 Promotions for 2019