AirHogs Set for Home Doubleheader Tomorrow After Wichita Loss
WICHITA, Kansas - The Texas AirHogs will return home Monday for a doubleheader vs. the Chicago Dogs after dropping the finale of a four-game series in Wichita Sunday afternoon by a final of 9-2.
Texas got out to an early lead on the fourth home run of the season by Correlle Prime. He took Wichita starter Tyler Kane out to center to make it 1-0 AirHogs in the top of the fourth.
AirHogs starter Tyler Matzek faced just one over the minimum for the first three innings before John Nester tagged him for a grand slam in the bottom of the fourth to give Wichita a lead it would not relinquish.
Stewart Ijames reached base three times in the contest and picked up an RBI on a base hit in the top of the fifth that drew the AirHogs within 4-2. From there though, Wichita would strike for five combined runs in the fifth and seventh to seal the win. A two-run Tony Thomas home run off Liu Yu in the seventh would officially put the game out of reach.
Yang Jin and Casio Grider each picked up two hits for Texas. Kane (3-1) picked up the win after going six innings and limiting Texas to seven hits and two runs (two earned). Matzek (2-6) struck out seven and walked two. He suffered the loss after allowing eight hits and seven runs (seven earned) in five innings.
The Wingnuts (34-20) were led by Nester and Thomas, who combined to drive in all nine runs. The game was the last ever for the AirHogs at Lawrence Dumont Stadium. The 85-year-old baseball landmark will close its doors at the conclusion of the 2018 season.
Texas (14-39) will meet the Chicago Dogs (20-32) in a four-game, three-day series beginning with a Monday doubleheader at 6:05. Live streams of all four games in the series will be available at mixlr.com/TXAirHogs and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
The Texas AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles will host Chicago July 16-18 and then return home after a long road swing to Kansas City, Winnipeg, and St. Paul on July 31 to take on Gary SouthShore. Tickets for all home games are available. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @TXAirHogs. Media inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 15, 2018
- Saltdogs and X's Suspended in Fifth Inning - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Explorers and Saltdogs Game Suspended Due to Rain - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Set for Home Doubleheader Tomorrow After Wichita Loss - Texas AirHogs
- Quick, But Painful as Saints Saints Six-Game Win Streak Snapped in 5-2 Loss to T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Folman, Home Runs Lead Canaries to Win over RedHawks - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Nester, Thomas Power Wingnuts to Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Unable to Complete Sweep with 10-6 to Loss Goldeyes - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes End Monster Stretch with Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- KC Ends Three-Game Slide, Taking out St. Paul 5-2 - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's with Comeback Win over Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Squander Lead in Long, Bizarre Game in Sioux City - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.