Nester, Thomas Power Wingnuts to Sweep
WICHITA, Kan. - John Nester and Tony Thomas both homered and combined to drive in nine runs, as the Wichita Wingnuts blasted the Texas AirHogs 9-2 on Sunday afternoon at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The victory secured a four-game sweep of Texas, giving the Wingnuts (34-20) ten wins in ten tries against their South Division rivals.
Both teams traded zeroes through the first three innings, as the Wingnuts struggled to solve Texas starter Tyler Matzek (2-6). Correlle Prime gave the AirHogs (14-39) a 1-0 lead in the fourth with a solo homer against Wingnuts right-hander Tyler Kane (3-1).
Nester had the answer for Wichita in bottom of the inning. With the bases loaded and nobody out, Nester blasted a full-count offering from Matzek over the fence in left-center for the Wingnuts first grand slam of the season and a 4-1 lead. Wichita then extended the lead in the fifth with three more runs, as Thomas doubled home a pair and Nester drove in his fifth run of the game with a sacrifice fly to stretch the Wingnuts advantage to 7-2.
Kane picked up the victory with six strong innings, allowing seven hits and two runs while striking out two. He handed the ball off to the Wingnuts bullpen, which delivered another quality performance via three scoreless innings from Felix Carvallo and John Hayes.
Thomas capped off the scoring in the bottom of the seventh with his league-leading 15th home run of the season, a two-run blast to right that gave him four RBI on the afternoon.
The Wingnuts take to the road for a three-game series with the Lincoln Saltdogs on Monday. First pitch is scheduled for 6:45 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 15, 2018
- Saltdogs and X's Suspended in Fifth Inning - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Explorers and Saltdogs Game Suspended Due to Rain - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Set for Home Doubleheader Tomorrow After Wichita Loss - Texas AirHogs
- Quick, But Painful as Saints Saints Six-Game Win Streak Snapped in 5-2 Loss to T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Folman, Home Runs Lead Canaries to Win over RedHawks - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Nester, Thomas Power Wingnuts to Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Unable to Complete Sweep with 10-6 to Loss Goldeyes - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes End Monster Stretch with Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- KC Ends Three-Game Slide, Taking out St. Paul 5-2 - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's with Comeback Win over Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Squander Lead in Long, Bizarre Game in Sioux City - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.