RailCats Shutout by Explorers for Second Straight Night
Sioux City, Iowa - Two hits from Randy Santiesteban and John Price Jr. wasn't enough for Gary on Saturday night as the RailCats were shutout by the Sioux City Explorers, 7-0, for the second straight night. Sioux City scored all seven of their runs with two outs on Saturday and have now outscored Gary (17-15), 30-3, in five games following Saturday's win.
Sioux City (26-9) jumped out to a 4-0 advantage with four runs in the third. Michael Lang made it 3-0 with a towering three-run home run to left-center. Three batters later, former RailCat Jose Sermo increased the Explorers lead with an RBI single to left.
The X's tacked on a pair of unearned runs in the fifth to go up by six. Luis Durango reached on a fielding error by Cole Fabio at second to start the inning. Three batters later, Nate Samson then doubled down the left field line, however, a throwing error from shortstop Will Savage allowed Durango to score from first. Sermo followed Samson with his second and final RBI of the night with an RBI single to left.
Sioux City added their final run in the eighth, increasing their lead to 7-0. Jay Baum led off the bottom of the eighth with a single off Gary reliever Keaton Steele before pinch-hitter David Kerian brought him home with an RBI single to shallow left-center.
Jeff McKenzie (2-2) was charged with his second straight loss against Sioux City. The southpaw allowed six runs (four earned), on 10 hits, no walks and five strikeouts in 5.1 innings. Brendan Jenkins retired four of the five batters he faced in 1.2 scoreless innings of relief and has now retired nine of the 11 he's seen in his first two professional baseball appearances. Steele was charged with one run on two hits in one inning.
Luis Mateo (5-2) recorded his second straight win against Gary with seven scoreless frames. The right-hander yielded just six hits, walked one, struck out five and didn't allow a single RailCat baserunner to reach third. Mateo is now 2-0 in two starts against Gary and has allowed only one run on 13 hits, a walk and 10 strikeouts in 16 innings.
Gary concludes their regular-season series vs. Sioux City on Sunday evening at 6:05 p.m. in Iowa. RHP Daniel Minor (4-2, 3.64) opposes Sioux City RHP James Dykstra (5-1, 3.95) in the final regular-season game between the two teams.
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Wednesday, June 27th, for two games against the Chicago Dogs. Wednesday's game is at 7:10 p.m. and is another "Office Wednesday", Pretzel Night, NorthShore Health Centers Wednesday and Wine Wednesday. Fans can sign up for the "Office Olympics" Jersey Auction during the game and can also purchase $2.50 Bavarian Pretzels and $4 Barefoot Wine and Barefoot Refresh Spritzers.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 23, 2018
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short for the RedHawks against Wingnuts - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Wichita Hangs on to Even Series in Fargo - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Take out Cleburne 5-4 Saturday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Kinman's Gem Gives Saltdogs Series-Clinching Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- X's Shutout Cats for Second Straight Night - Sioux City Explorers
- Railroaders Can't Thwart T-Bone Rally - Cleburne Railroaders
- Rubber Match Sunday After AirHogs Stall in Sioux Falls - Texas AirHogs
- Kinman Twirls Gem, Dogs Fall 7-2 in Lincoln - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Shutout by Explorers for Second Straight Night - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Folman's Strong Outing Helps Birds Even Series - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Get Help Behind the Dish, Sign Catcher Aaron Gretz, Activate Catcher Justin O'Conner - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Stun Saints in Wild Finish - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener
- RailCats Swept by Goldeyes in Final Road Game of Season