Wichita Hangs on to Even Series in Fargo
FARGO, N.D. - Mark Haynes struck out Fargo-Moorhead's Leo Pina with the tying run on third base in the bottom of the ninth, preserving a 5-4 win for the Wichita Wingnuts on Saturday night at Newman Outdoor Field.
Wichita (21-13) never trailed in the game, but had to fend off several RedHawks rallies. The latest and most threatening came from Fargo-Moorhead (17-16) in the ninth, when a pair of one-out walks from Haynes led to an RBI single from Devan Ahart that trimmed the Wichita lead to 5-3. Keury De La Cruz followed with an RBI groundout, leaving the Wingnuts with a 5-4 advantage. After a long battle with Pina, Haynes snuck a fastball by the RedHawks first baseman to end the game and notch his second save.
The Wingnuts pounced on Fargo-Moorhead starter Will Solomon (3-4) grabbing three runs on five hits in the top of the first. Tony Thomas lined a two-run single to open the scoring, and John Nester added an RBI double for a 3-0 edge. The RedHawks began the comeback in the third, getting a two-out RBI single from Maikol Gonzalez to break up the shutout and pull within 3-1. A bases-loaded walk to Tim Colwell forced home another run in the fourth, but Wichita starter Tyler Kane escaped without further damage by inducing a popup from Brennan Metzger.
Kane settled for a no-decision, working four innings in his 2018 debut. He allowed three hits and two runs, walking four with one strikeout.
Two massive insurance runs crossed for Wichita in the seventh. Zach Nehrir and Abel Nieves started the inning with singles, then the Wingnuts executed a double steal. Fargo-Moorhead catcher Quinn Irey fired the throw over the third baseman, allowing both runners to score for a 5-2 Wichita lead. The Wingnuts held on in the ninth to even the series at one game apiece.
The Wingnuts wrap up their series with the RedHawks on Sunday. Wichita will start right-hander Travis Banwart (3-1, 2.19), while Fargo will counter with righty Trey McNutt (1-2, 4.19). First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 23, 2018
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short for the RedHawks against Wingnuts - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Wichita Hangs on to Even Series in Fargo - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Take out Cleburne 5-4 Saturday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Kinman's Gem Gives Saltdogs Series-Clinching Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- X's Shutout Cats for Second Straight Night - Sioux City Explorers
- Railroaders Can't Thwart T-Bone Rally - Cleburne Railroaders
- Rubber Match Sunday After AirHogs Stall in Sioux Falls - Texas AirHogs
- Kinman Twirls Gem, Dogs Fall 7-2 in Lincoln - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Shutout by Explorers for Second Straight Night - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Folman's Strong Outing Helps Birds Even Series - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Get Help Behind the Dish, Sign Catcher Aaron Gretz, Activate Catcher Justin O'Conner - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Stun Saints in Wild Finish - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.