Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short for the RedHawks against Wingnuts
FARGO, ND - With the game-tying run on third base in the form of Devan Ahart in the bottom of the ninth inning on Saturday night against the Wichita Wingnuts (21-13), the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks (17-16) couldn't find a way to tie the game in a 5-4 loss. The RedHawks scored twice in the ninth inning to get the game within striking distance, but a Leo Pina strikeout with two outs in the ninth inning sealed the win for the Wingnuts.
The Wingnuts came out hot with three runs in the first inning and held Fargo-Moorhead scoreless until the third inning, when Maikol Gonzalez hit an RBI single and scored Tim Colwell. The RedHawks added another run in the fourth, after Tim Colwell advanced to first on a walk and forced home Leo Pina with the bases loaded.
Will Solomon gave up three runs in his 4.1 innings on the mound tonight but ended up with the loss and goes to 3-4 for the year. Solomon struck out two and walked one in his seventh start of the season.
Back-to-back walks in the ninth inning to Brennan Metzger and Maikol Gonzalez set the table for a RedHawks rally. Metzger scored on an RBI single from Devan Ahart and Gonzalez - after advancing to third on a wild pitch - came home on a ground out by Keury De La Cruz. However, Wichita's Mark Haynes regained his composure and struck out Pina with Ahart on third to finish the game.
The RedHawks will look to clinch a fourth consecutive series win tomorrow afternoon against the Wingnuts. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 PM at Newman Outdoor Field.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 23, 2018
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short for the RedHawks against Wingnuts - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Wichita Hangs on to Even Series in Fargo - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Take out Cleburne 5-4 Saturday - Kansas City T-Bones
- Kinman's Gem Gives Saltdogs Series-Clinching Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- X's Shutout Cats for Second Straight Night - Sioux City Explorers
- Railroaders Can't Thwart T-Bone Rally - Cleburne Railroaders
- Rubber Match Sunday After AirHogs Stall in Sioux Falls - Texas AirHogs
- Kinman Twirls Gem, Dogs Fall 7-2 in Lincoln - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Shutout by Explorers for Second Straight Night - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Folman's Strong Outing Helps Birds Even Series - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Get Help Behind the Dish, Sign Catcher Aaron Gretz, Activate Catcher Justin O'Conner - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Stun Saints in Wild Finish - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- RedHawks Win 4-3 in Game Two of NDCS; One Game Away from Series Win
- Jim Bennett Named 2019 American Association Manager of the Year
- RedHawks Take Game One of NDCS with 3-2 Victory over Saints
- RedHawks Yhoxian Medina Named 2019 American Association Defensive Player of the Year
- RedHawks to Start 2019 Aa Playoffs at Home against St. Paul Saints