Rail Yard Dawgs Hammer ThunderBolts, 6-2
ROANOKE, Va. - Maxime Guyon had four points, Colin Murray scored twice and Tanner Creel earned his first professional victory as the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs thumped the Evansville Thunderbolts, 6-2, Friday night at Berglund Center.
The Rail Yard Dawgs set the tone early. Less than three minutes into the game, Guyon fired a shot wide of the net that bounced back towards a charging Murray. Murray gathered it and rammed a shot past Braeden Ostepchuk to make it 1-0.
Roanoke would strike again later in the first as Guyon carried the puck over the blue line off a rush. He loaded up and buried a wrister top shelf, pushing the lead to 2-0.
Evansville punched back early in the second with a pair of goals from John Schiavo, evening the score at two. But the Dawgs offense woke up again less than two minutes after the second Schiavo tally. With Roanoke on a power play, Guyon gained the zone and found Jeff Jones on the left wing boards. He feathered a pass to the back side for a charging Steve Mele who redirected the puck into the net, putting the Dawgs back on top.
Roanoke would add to their lead later in the period. Dillan Fox took a Guyon pass, deked to his backhand and slid it five-hole on Ostepchuk to make it 4-2.
The Dawgs added two more in the third as Sean Federow and Murray each lit the lamp to push it to 6-2.
Guyon finished with a goal and three assists, Murray had two goals and an assist and Fox and Federow each had a goal and an assist. Creel stopped 32 of the 34 shots he faced and earned his first professional win.
Roanoke improved to 2-3-0, while the Thunderbolts dropped to 2-6-0. The Dawgs and Bolts are set to clash again on Saturday night at Berglund Center for WYYD Country Cares for St. Jude Night. There will be live music pregame and during intermissions from country star Adam Rutledge. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 P.M. The pregame show on the Haley Toyota Rail Yard Dawgs Hockey Network begins at 6:50 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2018
- Pensacola Ice Flyers Fall in Overtime to the Havoc, 3-2 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Bulls Rally for Overtime Victory, Remain Perfect - Birmingham Bulls
- Mayhem Win Sixth Straight Despite Penalty Trouble - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs Hammer ThunderBolts, 6-2 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Schiavo Strikes Twice in 6-2 Loss in Roanoke - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Preview: Mayhem at Knoxville Ice Bears (Game 7) - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (1-3-0) vs ThunderBolts (2-5-0) - 7:05 PM - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs Stories
- Rail Yard Dawgs Sign Shayne Morrissey
- Dawgs Edged by Ice Flyers, 2-1
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (0-0-1) at Ice Flyers (1-0-0)
- Dawgs Settle for Point, Fall to Ice Flyers in OT, 3-2
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (0-0-0) at Ice Flyers (0-0-0)