Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (14-19-3) vs Ice Bears (21-11-4)
ROANOKE RAIL YARD DAWGS
(14-19-3), 8th SPHL, 31 Pts
KNOXVILLE ICE BEARS
(21-11-4), 3rd SPHL, 46 Pts
Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 7:05 PM
Berglund Center - Roanoke, VA
Broadcast: SPHL Live | Mixlr
LAST TIME OUT: Eric Witzel scored twice, Brad Barone made 26 saves on 26 shots in relief and the Rail Yard Dawgs registered four unanswered goals to come from behind and beat the Knoxville Ice Bears, 5-3, Friday night at Berglund Center.
WE'RE GOING STREAKING!: Roanoke's win over Fayetteville on Friday was its third in a row, the longest winning streak of the season for the Rail Yard Dawgs.
BACK WITH A VENGANCE: Colin Murray returned from a 14-game stint in the ECHL this week and has hit the ground running in his first two games. He picked up a goal and an assist during the 5-2 win in Fayetteville on Thursday and scored again in the Dawgs 5-3 win on Friday. Murray has seven goals and three assists in his 16 games with Roanoke this season.
WE ARE ALL WITZ-NESSES: Eric Witzel scored twice on Friday, including a shorthanded breakaway goal at the tail end of a four-minute penalty kill. Witzel now has goals in three straight and has recorded five points (four goals, one assist) during those three games. Prior to his overtime game-winning goal in Knoxville last Saturday, Witzel had been without a point in his previous six games.
BRAD TO THE BONE: Brad Barone came off the bench to make 26 saves on 26 shots faced in the Rail Yard Dawgs 5-3 win over the Marksmen on Friday. It was his first appearance since returning from a call-up to the ECHL's Reading Royals and his first action since his 24-save shutout against Birmingham on January 27. Barone has stopped each of the last 50 shots that he has faced during game action.
THREE-IN-THREE: Saturday is the third of three games in as many nights for the Rail Yard Dawgs. This is the fifth time this season that Roanoke has played a three-in-three and the Dawgs are 6-8-0 during such games.
STRONG UNDER BREMNER: Roanoke's win on Friday pushed its record under head coach Dan Bremner to 9-8-1.
UNBALANCED SCHEDULE: The Dawts are four games into a stretch of five that will take place exclusively against Knoxville and Fayetteville. 23 games of the Dawgs 56-game schedule will be played against those two clubs- 10 versus the Ice Bears and 13 against the Marksmen. Roanoke is 2-4-0 against Knoxville and 8-4-0 against Fayetteville.
UP NEXT: The Rail Yard Dawgs will open up next weekend's action at home on Friday against the Huntsville Havoc. Puck drop at Berglund Center is scheduled for 7:05 PM
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2018
- Let the Good Times Roll: Huntsville Snatches Shootout Win from Pensacola 5-4 - Huntsville Havoc
- RiverKings Win 4th Straight, Take Down Evansville - Mississippi RiverKings
- Roanoke Blows by Knoxville, 5-1 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Valiant Effort Falls Short for Marksmen - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Mayhem Battle to Get Back into Win Column, Defeat Fayetteville 3-2 - Macon Mayhem
- Rivermen Game Notes: Peoria Rivermen (23-10-2) at Birmingham Bulls (12-20-5) - Peoria Rivermen
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (14-19-3) vs Ice Bears (21-11-4) - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- SPHL Announces Suspensions - SPHL
- Rivermen Fall 3-2 in Birmingham Friday - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.