Mayhem Battle to Get Back into Win Column, Defeat Fayetteville 3-2
FAYETTEVILLE, NC- Newly acquired Macon Mayhem forward Mike Moroso scored the game-winning goal in his first game with the team, as the Mayhem defeated the Fayetteville Marksmen 3-2 on the road.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Fayetteville struck first in the first period, as the SPHL's leading point-scorer Jake Hauswirth scored a power play goal to take the 1-0 lead. With under five minutes remaining in the first period, Mayhem leading goal-scorer Darren McCormick scored his 20th goal of the season to tie the game up. Mike Moroso - playing in his first game with Macon - and Jake Trask tallied the assists.
The second period was the exact same on the score sheet, as Hauswirth his second power play goal of the game to take the one-goal lead. With just over a minute left in the second period, McCormick scored his second goal of the game to tie it back up. Ben Boukal tallied his first career SPHL point with an assist, and captain Daniel Gentzler tallied the secondary assist.
The only goal scored in the third period came from the player the Mayhem acquired in a trade on Wednesday. Mike Moroso came down the right wing on a four-on-four and shot the puck into the top left corner of the net. Caleb Cameron and Seth Ronsberg assisted on Moroso's game-winning goal.
Troy Passingham started in his first game since January 20th against the Pensacola Ice Flyers. He saved 40 of the 42 Fayetteville shots he faced and earned his seventh victory of the season.
After being acquired from Mississippi on Wednesday in exchange for forward Ryan Salkeld, Mike Moroso scored a goal, including the game-winning goal, and tallied an assist in his Mayhem debut.
Darren McCormick extended his team-lead in goals, as he scored his 20th and 21st goals of the season. He entered the contest tied for second in the SPHL in goals with 19. Dylan Clarked entered tonight first in the league in goals with 20.
Macon Mayhem: 21-10-5 (47 points)
Fayetteville Marksmen: 10-21-6 (26 points)
BACK IN ACTION
The Mayhem are back home at the Macon Coliseum on Sunday, as the Peoria Rivermen come to town for the first time this season. It is Faith and Family Day, where fans can purchase discounted tickets if they bring their church bulletin from Sunday morning to the game. Also, the team is offering buy-one, get-one free full-price tickets to the game.
Single game tickets are on sale through the Macon Coliseum Box Office or at ticketmaster.com. For information on group tickets and ticket plans, visit MaconMayhem.com or call the Mayhem Front Office at (478) 803-1592.
Images from this story
Darren McCormick of the Macon Mayhem
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2018
- Let the Good Times Roll: Huntsville Snatches Shootout Win from Pensacola 5-4 - Huntsville Havoc
- RiverKings Win 4th Straight, Take Down Evansville - Mississippi RiverKings
- Roanoke Blows by Knoxville, 5-1 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Valiant Effort Falls Short for Marksmen - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Mayhem Battle to Get Back into Win Column, Defeat Fayetteville 3-2 - Macon Mayhem
- Rivermen Game Notes: Peoria Rivermen (23-10-2) at Birmingham Bulls (12-20-5) - Peoria Rivermen
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (14-19-3) vs Ice Bears (21-11-4) - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- SPHL Announces Suspensions - SPHL
- Rivermen Fall 3-2 in Birmingham Friday - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Macon Mayhem Stories
- Mayhem's Season Comes to an End with 3-2 Overtime Loss to Huntsville Havoc
- Mayhem Game Notes: President's Cup Semi-Finals Game #3
- Mayhem Fall 8-2 to Havoc, Face Series-Deciding Game Three Friday Night
- Mayhem Take Game One of President's Cup Semi-Finals with 6-4 Victory over Huntsville
- Mayhem Game Notes: President's Cup Semi-Finals (Mayhem at Havoc)