Rivermen Game Notes: Peoria Rivermen (23-10-2) at Birmingham Bulls (12-20-5)
PEAKS AND VALLEYS
The Rivermen enter tonight's game after suffering a 3-2 loss in Birmingham last evening, coming on the heels of a 5-3 Rivermen win in Huntsville last Saturday preceded by a shootout loss to the Havoc the night before. Peoria comes into tonight's contest in second place in the SPHL standings, three points behind first-place Pensacola.
THE SERIES SO FAR
Tonight's tilt between the Rivermen and Bulls marks the fifth and final clash between Peoria and Birmingham this season, and the third of three at the Pelham Civic Complex. The Bulls played their second and third ever games in franchise history against the Rivermen at Carver Arena, suffering a 5-2 loss on October 27 before falling 3-1 the following night. The Bulls earned their first win in franchise history November 19 courtesy of a 4-3 shootout win over the Rivermen at the Pelham Civic Complex.
SCOUTING THE BULLS
The Bulls come into play tonight winners of three straight games, dating back to a 2-1 shootout win against Fayetteville before capturing a 4-1 win in Evansville Thursday night.
The Bulls are 12-20-5 entering tonight's contest, ninth in the SPHL standings and two points behind Roanoke for the eighth and final Playoff berth. The Bulls recently returned several players from ECHL Call-Ups, getting center Jacob Barber back from Greenville, defenseman Jon Rey returned from ECHL Norfolk, and Mavric Parks from ECHL Orlando. In 33 games this season between Birmingam and Peoria, Barber has notched 13 goals and a team-best 17 assists, adding a +6 rating, while Rey has tallied four points in 10 SPHL games from the Birmingham blueline this year. In net, Parks has seen action in 28 contests for the Bulls, going 7- 16-4 with a 3.13 GAA and a .916 save percentage between the pipes.
Last night's Rivermen loss included a pair of assists for Rivermen winger Connor Gorman, giving the second-year pro four helpers in his last three games. The night marked Gorman's first multi-assist night since a three-assist performance Opening Night at Evansville. Now in his second season with the Rivermen, Gorman has notched 11 goals and 14 assists in 35 games this season.
Last night's game also saw a goal and an assist for Rivermen winger Joe Kalisz, giving the Davison, MI native three points in his last two games. Kalisz notched a goal at Huntsville last Saturday to record his first point since joining the Rivermen via trade with Fayetteville January 24. For the season between the Rivermen and Marksmen, Kalisz has now notched eight goals and four assists, with three of his goals this season coming on the power play.
THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENBERG
Rivermen center Justin Greenberg tallied an assist in last night's game to push his point scoring streak to six games, dating back to his late-January return from Injured Reserve. In 15 games this season, the first-year pro from Dallas, Texas has notched 10 goals and six assists, adding a +2 rating. Greenberg has made contributions on Peoria's special teams units, notching four goals and two assists on the power-play, adding a short- handed goal and two short-handed assists.
WHAT'S ON DECK
After tonight's game in Birmingham, the Rivermen will travel to Macon, GA for a Sunday afternoon contest to wrap up their current road swing. Peoria will then return to Carver Arena February 16-18 for a trio of games against Fayetteville, including Jean-Guy Trudel bobble head giveaway night on the 16th and Rivermen Hall of Fame Night on 2/17, with former ECHL Rivermen forward Darren Clark being inducted into the Peoria Professional Hockey Hall of Fame.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2018
- Let the Good Times Roll: Huntsville Snatches Shootout Win from Pensacola 5-4 - Huntsville Havoc
- RiverKings Win 4th Straight, Take Down Evansville - Mississippi RiverKings
- Roanoke Blows by Knoxville, 5-1 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Valiant Effort Falls Short for Marksmen - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Mayhem Battle to Get Back into Win Column, Defeat Fayetteville 3-2 - Macon Mayhem
- Rivermen Game Notes: Peoria Rivermen (23-10-2) at Birmingham Bulls (12-20-5) - Peoria Rivermen
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (14-19-3) vs Ice Bears (21-11-4) - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- SPHL Announces Suspensions - SPHL
- Rivermen Fall 3-2 in Birmingham Friday - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Rivermen Stories
- Rivermen Can't Complete Comeback, Havoc Hoist President's Cup
- Rivermen Game Notes: President's Cup Finals Game 3
- Rivermen Calm Havoc, Force Game 3
- Rivermen Game Notes: President's Cup Finals Game 2
- Rivermen Surrender Four Third-Period Goals in Game 1 Loss to Huntsville