Raiders Fall To Hitmen In Road Trip Finale
Calgary, AB - The Prince Albert Raiders (18-20-7-2) finished their Central Division swing with five out of a possible six points following a 4-3 overtime loss to the Calgary Hitmen (15-26-5-1) at the Scotiabank Saddledome on Sunday evening.
The Raiders jumped out to a 1-0 lead 4:38 into the first. Kody McDonald tallied his 22nd goal of the year from the high slot on a Prince Albert power play.
In the second, the Raiders extended their lead. Vojtech Budik's point shot was stopped by Nick Schneider, but Sean Montgomery was at the side of the net to pot the rebound, putting the Raiders up 2-0. Late in the period, the Hitmen got back within one. Riley Stotts scored off of an offensive zone faceoff to make it a 2-1 game after 20 minutes.
At the 3:47 mark of the third, 15-year-old Ozzy Wiesblatt scored his first career WHL goal in his debut to restore the Raiders' two-goal lead.
However, the Hitmen battled back in the late stages of the third to tie the game. Luke Coleman got the comeback started with a shorthanded goal with 3:01 left to play. Then, Jakob Stukel tied the game with 1:27 to play and Calgary's net empty.
In the overtime period, the Raiders drew a power play. It was Calgary that cashed in when Conner Chaulk outraced two Raiders to the puck and beat Ian Scott shorthanded to end the game.
Scott made 33 saves in a losing effort for the raiders. Schneider stopped 23 Raider shots in the win.
The Raiders are back at the Art Hauser Centre for two games this weekend. On Friday, the Prince George Cougars make their biennial visit to Prince Albert. On Saturday, the Raiders host the Edmonton Oil Kings. Both games begin at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- SMITH AND KRAL LISTED IN NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING MIDTERM RANKINGS - Spokane Chiefs
- Five Giants Crack NHL Central Scouting's Midterm R - Vancouver Giants
- Fonstad Listed in Midterm Rankings - Prince Albert Raiders
- RECAP: Everett 4 - Swift Current 1 (1-21-18) - Everett Silvertips
- Raiders Fall To Hitmen In Road Trip Finale - Prince Albert Raiders
- RECAP: Everett 4 - Brandon 0 (1-20-18) - Everett Silvertips
- Ottenbreit and Luding Stuff Broncos in Eight Round Shootout - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Game Recap: Cougars 4 Hurricanes 2 - Prince George Cougars
- Victoria(4) at Kelowna(8) - Kelowna Rockets
- CHIEFS WIN OT THRILLER IN FRONT OF SELLOUT SPOKANE CROWD. - Spokane Chiefs
- GIANTS FALL 2-0 TO WINTERHAWKS AT HOME SATURDAY. - Vancouver Giants
- Raiders Tame Tigers In Overtime - Raiders 3, Tigers 2 (OT). - Prince Albert Raiders
- Recap: Regina Pats (3) vs Saskatoon Blades (4) OT - Regina Pats
- Giants Snag a Single Point in a 4-3 Shootout Loss at Home - Vancouver Giants
- Volcan Hat Trick Blasts Rockets. - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Kelowna (2) at Seattle (7) - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Knock Down Giants in Shootout. - Victoria Royals
- LETHBRIDGE SPOILS BIG NIGHT IN PRINCE GEORGE - Lethbridge 6, Cougars 2. - Prince George Cougars
- Blazers 2, Hitmen 1. - Calgary Hitmen
- Defence Sparks Offence In Win Over Rebels - Raiders 5, Rebels 1. - Prince Albert Raiders
- Regina Pats (3) vs Moose Jaw Warriors (5) - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.