Defence Sparks Offence In Win Over Rebels - Raiders 5, Rebels 1.
Red Deer, AB - The Prince Albert Raiders (17-20-6-2) got all the offence they needed from the blueline in a 5-1 win over the Red Deer Rebels (10-24-8-3) on Friday night at the Enmax Centrium.
Vojtech Budik and Jeremy Masella were responsible for all three of the Raiders' first-period goals, which paced Prince Albert to the win.
Budik opened the scoring 1:50 into the contest. After a missed two-on-one rush chance by the Raiders, Sean Montgomery worked the puck to the point. Budik one-timed the puck past goaltender Ethan Anders to put the Raiders up 1-0.
Midway through the period, Budik tallied his second of the game to make it 2-0. On a Raiders' power-play, the Czech defenceman wired a wrist shot past Anders, ending the night of the Rebels' netminder.
The goaltending change didn't help the Rebels. Five minutes after Budik's second, Jeremy Masella's shot found its way through traffic and past new goaltender Riley Lamb to put the Raiders up 3-0 after the first. Budik also picked up an assist on Masella's goal.
In the second, the Raiders continued to score. Jordy Stallard blasted a shot past Lamb from the right faceoff circle on a power play 4:55 into the period. It was Stallard's 31st goal of the campaign and 13th with the man advantage.
Ian Scott's shutout bid was ended late in the middle frame. Alexander Alexeyev's seeing-eye shot from the point on the power play got past the Toronto Maple Leafs draft pick with 54 seconds left in the period, making it 4-1 after 40 minutes.
The Raiders closed out the game in the third period with the help of Parker Kelly. The Ottawa Senators signee netted a shorthanded goal seven minutes into the period to restore the Raiders' four goal lead and round out the scoring.
Scott's lone blemish of the game was Alexeyev's power-play goal. The Calgary product made 29 saves in the win. Anders stopped five shots before being pulled 11:00 into the game. Lamb turned aside 24 shots in relief.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- SMITH AND KRAL LISTED IN NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING MIDTERM RANKINGS - Spokane Chiefs
- Five Giants Crack NHL Central Scouting's Midterm R - Vancouver Giants
- Fonstad Listed in Midterm Rankings - Prince Albert Raiders
- RECAP: Everett 4 - Swift Current 1 (1-21-18) - Everett Silvertips
- Raiders Fall To Hitmen In Road Trip Finale - Prince Albert Raiders
- RECAP: Everett 4 - Brandon 0 (1-20-18) - Everett Silvertips
- Ottenbreit and Luding Stuff Broncos in Eight Round Shootout - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Game Recap: Cougars 4 Hurricanes 2 - Prince George Cougars
- Victoria(4) at Kelowna(8) - Kelowna Rockets
- CHIEFS WIN OT THRILLER IN FRONT OF SELLOUT SPOKANE CROWD. - Spokane Chiefs
- GIANTS FALL 2-0 TO WINTERHAWKS AT HOME SATURDAY. - Vancouver Giants
- Raiders Tame Tigers In Overtime - Raiders 3, Tigers 2 (OT). - Prince Albert Raiders
- Recap: Regina Pats (3) vs Saskatoon Blades (4) OT - Regina Pats
- Giants Snag a Single Point in a 4-3 Shootout Loss at Home - Vancouver Giants
- Volcan Hat Trick Blasts Rockets. - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Kelowna (2) at Seattle (7) - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Knock Down Giants in Shootout. - Victoria Royals
- LETHBRIDGE SPOILS BIG NIGHT IN PRINCE GEORGE - Lethbridge 6, Cougars 2. - Prince George Cougars
- Blazers 2, Hitmen 1. - Calgary Hitmen
- Defence Sparks Offence In Win Over Rebels - Raiders 5, Rebels 1. - Prince Albert Raiders
- Regina Pats (3) vs Moose Jaw Warriors (5) - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.