Power Use Four-Run Fifth to Top Claws 5-2
CHARLESTON, WV - West Virginia used a four-run fifth inning to pull away from the BlueClaws en route to a 5-2 win over Lakewood on Saturday night at Appalachian Power Park.
The Power (39-32/66-65) have taken the first two in this series and 12 of 16 overall this year from the BlueClaws (26-33/55-74), who have now lost three straight games.
The Power opened the scoring in the third on Billy Cooke's RBI single off Kevin Gowdy (0-6).
They added four more in the fifth. Ryan Ramiz, a Freehold native, had a two-run double to put the Power up 3-0. Matt Sanders added an RBI single to chase Gowdy. Later in the inning, Nick Rodriguez's RBI single off Tom Sutera put the Power up 5-0.
Gowdy was charged with five runs, three earned, over four innings of work.
Meanwhile Power starter Ryne Inman struck out 10 over 4.2 innings but left with an injury in the fifth inning. Brendan McGuigan (1-0) came on and gave up two unearned runs in 2.1 innings to earn the win.
Both Lakewood runs came in the eighth on a two-run single from Jonathan Guzman. The two runs snapped a 26-inning scoreless inning stretch for Lakewood, their longest such stretch of the season.
Robert Winslow got the last six outs, striking out Guzman as the tying run to end the game.
Tom Sutera threw four scoreless innings in relief for Lakewood.
The teams finish their series on Sunday at 2:05 pm. LHP Taylor Lehman (2-0) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Evan Johnson (0-4).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 24, 2019
- 'Birds Split Twin Bill in Hub City - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Crawdads Fall in Late Innings to Greensboro - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive One-Hit Tourists in Saturday Win - Greenville Drive
- Braves Dish Out Payback in 4-3 Victory over Fireflies - Rome Braves
- Suns Split Doubleheader with Delmarva - Hagerstown Suns
- Four-Run Fifth Extends Winning Streak to Three Games - West Virginia Power
- Roby's Multi-Homer Night Lifts Jackets to 5-4 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Chambers Continues his Tear against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Power Use Four-Run Fifth to Top Claws 5-2 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Brito Provides Career Night as Charleston Drops Game Two - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (August 24) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 24 at Rome (Game 127) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Rides Solid Pitching to 4-2 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Columbia Stuns Rome with Late Comeback - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.