Drive One-Hit Tourists in Saturday Win
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Greenville pitching combined to allow just one hit, while the offense struck for seven runs on nine hits, including two home runs, to down the Asheville Tourists on Saturday night, 7-0, and secure the series win.
Drive starter Hunter Haworth worked around a two-out double in the top of the first, before Everlouis Lozada drew a lead-off walk for the Drive in the bottom half. Two batters later, Tyler Esplin deposited a ball over the fence in right center to give Greenville the early 2-0 lead. Triston Casas followed with his 18th home run of the season, a 443-foot shot over the Drive bullpen for a 3-0 lead after one.
The Drive added on in the third, after Casas led off the inning with a single. Tyler Dearden followed with a walk and Alan Marrero bounced a ground-rule double over the wall in the right-field corner to score Casas and push the Drive lead to 4-0 before recording an out. Lozada drew his second walk of the game, this time with two outs, to score Marrero and give the Drive the 5-0 lead, before Brandon Howlett singled to score Batesole and Esplin and push the lead to 7-0 after three innings.
Haworth (5-7) allowed nothing more than the first-inning double, earning the win after throwing 7.0 scoreless innings with two strikeouts. Robbie Baker and Yorvin Pantoja each threw a scoreless inning in relief without allowing a hit. Asheville starter Eris Filpo (2-3) was tagged with the loss, giving up seven runs on six hits with five walks in 2.2 innings. Derrik Watson and Alexander Martinez combined for 5.1 innings of relief for the Tourists, allowing three hits and no runs.
Esplin and Casas each finished the night at 2-for-4 with a home run to lead the Drive. Esplin and Howlett each turned in two RBIs while Lozada and Dearden each drew two walks on the night. Seven of the Drive's nine starters recorded a hit.
The Drive and Tourists conclude the three-game series on Sunday with a 3:05 p.m. first pitch.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 24, 2019
- 'Birds Split Twin Bill in Hub City - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Crawdads Fall in Late Innings to Greensboro - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive One-Hit Tourists in Saturday Win - Greenville Drive
- Braves Dish Out Payback in 4-3 Victory over Fireflies - Rome Braves
- Suns Split Doubleheader with Delmarva - Hagerstown Suns
- Four-Run Fifth Extends Winning Streak to Three Games - West Virginia Power
- Roby's Multi-Homer Night Lifts Jackets to 5-4 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Chambers Continues his Tear against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Power Use Four-Run Fifth to Top Claws 5-2 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Brito Provides Career Night as Charleston Drops Game Two - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (August 24) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 24 at Rome (Game 127) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Rides Solid Pitching to 4-2 Victory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Columbia Stuns Rome with Late Comeback - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.