Power Snap Three-Game Skid, 7-4
Augusta, GA (June 27, 2007) - Taylor Green snapped West Virginia's scoreless streak of 27 innings with an RBI single in the fourth inning of Wednesday night's game at Lake Olmstead Stadium, and Green came through again with a run scoring single in the top of the 12th inning to put the Power ahead for good as they snapped a three game losing streak with a 7-4 win over Augusta.
After Green's run scoring base-knock in the fourth, Andrew Lefave touched home plate on an errant throw from second baseman Marcus Sanders. The Power took a 3-0 lead in the sixth inning on another throwing error from Sanders which plated Lefave again. Augusta got their first run of the game in the bottom of the sixth inning on Ryan Rohlinger's RBI groundout.
In the seventh, Mike McBryde singled in Dayton Buller to bring the GreenJackets within one but Kenny Holmberg ripped a bases loaded, RBI single in the eighth inning to put the lead back at two. Augusta tied the game with a pair of runs in the eighth. Rohlinger doubled in the first run and scored the tying run on a base hit from Brett Pill.
Green's second RBI single highlighted a three run 12th inning for the Power. Kenny Holmberg followed Green's base-hit with a Sacrifice Fly that scored Chuckie Caufield and Martin Maldonado singled in Green to finish the big inning.
Omar Aguilar (7-1) gave up two runs in the eighth inning, but followed with three scoreless frames to get the victory. Matt Kretzschmar (1) got the save in his 2007 Power debut while Dave Newton (2-1) was tagged with the loss. Left hander Brae Wright allowed two runs, one earned on six hits and struck out five through seven innings.
The Power improved to 51-24 overall and 3-4 in the second half, while the GreenJackets fell to 55-22 overall and 5-2 in the second half with the loss. The Power committed six errors, a season high. Lefave scored four times and had four base-hits to lead the Power. Caufield, Green and Maldonado all chipped in with two hits a piece.
The Power will finish the four game series against the Augusta GreenJackets at Lake Olmstead Stadium on Thursday night. The Power will start right hander Alex Periard (3-1, 2.85) and Augusta will start right hander Kevin Pucetas (9-1, 1.67). The first pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
For more information contact the Power Front Offices at (304) 344-2287 or visit the Power website at www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 27, 2007
- GreenJackets Fall in 12 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Snap Three-Game Skid, 7-4 - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis, Hickory Suspended in Third Inning - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Lexington Falls to Greenville in Laugher, 19-8 - Lexington Legends
- Drive Stomp Legends, 19-8 - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Game Notes - Augusta GreenJackets
- Catfish Slugger Earns SAL Player of the Week - Columbus Catfish
- RiverDogs Return to The Joe for Six-Game Stand - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs to Honor Charleston's Fallen Firefighters - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Virginia Power Stories
- "A Very Power Christmas" Event Moved Back to December 8
- "A Very Power Christmas" Event Set for Saturday at Appalachian Power Park
- Celebrate Christmas with the Power
- An Early Look at the 2019 Power Roster
- Trick-Or-Beat Back at Appalachian Power Park on Halloween