RiverDogs to Honor Charleston's Fallen Firefighters
CHARLESTON, SC - As the Charleston RiverDogs return to action for a six-game homestand that begins Thursday, the memory of Charleston's nine fallen firefighters will be on the minds of everyone at Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park.
General Manager Dave Echols has announced that the RiverDogs will open the homestand with a moment of silence as the team wears black armbands on their jerseys and specially-made CFD caps to honor the Charleston Fire Department. Several members of the Fire Department will be at the games Thursday through Sunday with their boots in hand collecting money for the City of Charleston Fireman's Fund that is established to help raise money for the families of the fallen firefighters.
The homestand features a two-game set against the Savannah Sand Gnats Thursday and Friday, and a four-game series with the Rome Braves Saturday through Tuesday.
Additionally, there will be permanent memorial for the "Charleston 9" in a prominent and appropriate location inside Riley Park with Echols and Fire Chief Rusty Thomas to work on the details in the coming weeks.
Echols also stated that the club will donate $100 to the Fireman's Fund for every home run that the RiverDogs hit at The Joe during the season's second half.
"Like everyone else in the community, the Charleston RiverDogs feel for the devastated families of our fallen heroes," said Echols. "We want to do our part to help."
Additionally, on the Tuesday, July 3 Independence Day Celebration, the team will have an enhanced patriotic theme and will revamp their already-planned Firefighter Appreciation Night on August 6 against Greensboro.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 27, 2007
- GreenJackets Fall in 12 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Snap Three-Game Skid, 7-4 - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis, Hickory Suspended in Third Inning - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Lexington Falls to Greenville in Laugher, 19-8 - Lexington Legends
- Drive Stomp Legends, 19-8 - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Game Notes - Augusta GreenJackets
- Catfish Slugger Earns SAL Player of the Week - Columbus Catfish
- RiverDogs Return to The Joe for Six-Game Stand - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs to Honor Charleston's Fallen Firefighters - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- RiverDogs Drop Seventh Straight for First Time Since 2014
- Getting in Hot Water, RiverDogs to Transform into Charleston Boiled Peanuts for a Night
- RiverDogs Explode for Seven in Third, Cough up Late Lead
- RiverDogs Drop Fifth Straight, Blanked by Crawdads
- RiverDogs Strand Winning Run, Swept by Shorebirds