Portland uses seven-run sixth inning to race past Colorado Springs
PORTLAND, Ore. - Kyle Phillips was 4-for-5 with two RBIs, Mike Baxter had three hits and three RBIs and Josh Geer picked up his team-leading seventh win as the Portland Beavers used a seven-run sixth inning to beat the Colorado Springs Sky Sox 9-5 before a crowd of 7,092 at PGE Park Friday.
Eight Beavers (36-6) starters had at least one hit, including Lance Zawadzki, who was 2-for-4 with three runs scored. Sean Kazmar extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a two-run single in the sixth.
Geer (7-7) moved to 6-1 in his last seven starts by tossing 6 1/3 innings and yielding five runs on eight hits and no walks. He was also 2-for-3 at the plate with a pair of infield singles and a run.
Cole Garner had two hits, including a two-run homer in the fourth, and Chris Nelson was 3-for-4 with two RBIs for the Sky Sox (42-50), who have lost eight of their last 10 on the road.
Chaz Roe (6-10) suffered his league-leading 10th loss and matched a season high by allowing 11 hits as he surrendered six runs (5 earned) in five-plus innings.
Phillips' first-inning RBI double gave the Beavers an early lead before Nelson's single in the second tied it for the Sky Sox.
Baxter hit an RBI double in the third to put Portland on top 2-1 but Garner's two-run shot off the scoreboard stole the lead back.
Then the Beavers put together their biggest inning of the season in the sixth, scoring seven times while sending 11 men to the plate. It started with an Anthony Contreras single, a Dusty Ryan walk and Geer's second infield single of the night. Cedric Hunter tied the game at three with an RBI single before Kazmar untied it with a two-run single to right. After Zawadzki walked, Phillips drove in his second run with a single, leading to Baxter's two-run double to right. Craig Cooper plated the final run of the frame with a sac fly to right.
Luis Perdomo pitched scoreless eighth and ninth innings to push his streak without an earned run to 25 1/3 innings.
The Beavers and Sky Sox continue their series at PGE Park Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) on Art in the Park night presented by FSA. The first 2,000 fans will receive paintable polyresin baseballs which they can decorate at the game, courtesy of FSA.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 17, 2010
- Redbirds take third of four against Zephyrs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Tops Omaha 5-2 On Saturday Night - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Izturis and Palmer to Rehab with Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- L.V. 51s Return Home to Host Tacoma and Portland - Las Vegas Aviators
- Express beaten by Isotopes - Round Rock Express
- Portland uses seven-run sixth inning to race past Colorado Springs - Portland Beavers
- Aces snap skid - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss