Philadelphia Union Sign Forward Chris Donovan
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that they have signed forward Chris Donovan to an MLS contract after claiming him off waivers. Philadelphia Union obtained priority position in the waiver order in a trade with Chicago Fire FC in which the Union acquired the No. 1 position in the MLS Waiver Order for the waiver claiming period that commenced on June 14, 2022, in return for $50,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money.
"Chris has truly capitalized on an opportunity at this club and has made incredible strides since arriving in Philadelphia," said Philadelphia Union Sporting Director, Ernst Tanner. "His mentality and dedication to his development is a perfect example of what can be achieved in our system and what the Philadelphia Union stands for. We brought in a solid MLS Next Pro player, and we now believe Chris can immediately contribute to our first team. We look forward to seeing what he does with this opportunity."
Donovan, 21, has made ten appearances (seven starts) for Philadelphia Union II, Union's MLS NEXT Pro affiliate, leading the team with three goals and one assist. He made his MLS NEXT Pro debut on March 27, 2022, where he registered his first assist of the season against FC Cincinnati 2. On April 24, 2022, Donovan recorded his first two goals of the season against Chicago Fire FC II. He leads the team with 30 shots and has the fifth most in the league this season.
Donovan scored 30 goals and recorded 13 assists in 60 appearances (57 starts) in his four years at Drexel University. He also earned many accolades in his senior year, including the Philadelphia Inquirer Men's Soccer Performer of the Year, Chris Jones Philly Soccer Six Player of the Year, Colonial Athletic Association Player of the Year, and the United Soccer Coaches Atlantic Region First Team.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union receive the No.1 position in the MLS Waiver Order from Chicago Fire FC in exchange for $50,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money. Philadelphia Union acquire forward Chris Donovan off waivers and sign him first team contract on June 17, 2022.
Name: Chris Donovan
Born: August 8, 2000
Birthplace: Paoli, Pennsylvania
Hometown: Paoli, Pennsylvania
Citizenship: United States
Acquired: Philadelphia Union sign forward Chris Donovan on June 17, 2022.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 17, 2022
- Neville and Higuaín Look to the Future of Fútbol in South Florida - Inter Miami CF
- Matchday Guide: Atlanta United FC vs. Inter Miami CF - Inter Miami CF
- MATCH Preview & MEDIA RESOURCES: Sounders FC Hosts League-Leading LAFC Saturday at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Recall Goalkeeper Jon Kempin from His Loan with San Diego Loyal SC - D.C. United
- Combined U-12 & U-13 Team to Compete in LaLiga Promises Santander International Tournament - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Philadelphia Union - Chicago Fire FC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Forward Chris Donovan - Philadelphia Union
- Injury Report: Clean Bill of Health for Colorado - New York City FC
- Sounders FC Celebrates Juneteenth with a Host of Special Matchday Activities at Saturday's Match vs. LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Back at Stade Saputo against Austin this Saturday - Club de Foot Montreal
- "Every Day Is Father's Day": Robin and Nicki Fraser Build Soccer Legacy Together - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Returns Home Saturday to Celebrate Juneteenth vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City Returns to Exploria Stadium to Host Houston Dynamo FC - Orlando City SC
- 2026 World Cup Host Cities Revealed by FIFA - Charlotte FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Return to League Play on Saturday in Florida - Houston Dynamo FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Winger Sam Nicholson - Colorado Rapids
- Something to Prove: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Atlanta United Signs Aiden McFadden as U-20 Call up Replacement - Atlanta United FC
- Connections Run Deep as FC Cincinnati Travel to Face Philadelphia Union - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bulls Begin Two-Match Homestand with Saturday Night Matchup against Toronto FC - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union and WSFS Bank Announce Multi-Year Partnership
- Army-Navy Cup XI Returns to Subaru Park on October 7
- Major League Soccer Adds Philadelphia Union Defender Jakob Glesnes to Roster for the 2022 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target
- Aaronson Scores First Goal This Season
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Abasa Aremeyaw