Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Defender Aurelien Collin
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has reached an agreement on a new contract with MLS veteran defender Aurelien Collin. The former MLS Cup Champion and three-time MLS All-Star joined the Union as a free agent ahead of the 2019 season. After his leadership and guidance helped bring home the club's first-ever Supporters' Shield in 2020, Collin has signed a one-year contract ahead of their 2021 campaign.
Assets for Media Use: Photos of Aurelien Collin
"We are pleased to have come to an agreement with Aurelien and welcome him back to our roster for the 2021 season," said Union Sporting Director Ernst Tanner. "His veteran presence has been invaluable for the club and we appreciate the guidance and knowledge he brings to our young team."
Collin was part of the Union's historic Supporters' Shield victory this past season, the second time he's been part of a Shield winning team (2018, New York Red Bulls). Prior to signing with the Union in 2019, Collin spread his career across several MLS clubs: New York Red Bulls (2016-2018), Orlando City SC (2015-2016), and Sporting Kansas City (2011-2014). He is a former MLS Cup Champion and MLS Cup MVP (both 2013, Sporting Kansas City). He has also won the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in 2012, the same season he was named to the MLS Best XI. Additionally, Collin was an MLS All-Star in 2012, 2013 and 2014.
Prior to MLS, Collin spent time in the academies of both Sedan and Amiens in his native France, as well as with Spanish outfit RCD Mallorca. He signed his first senior deal ahead of the 2007-08 season with Scottish Premier League side Gretna FC. In 2008, Collin joined Greek club Panserraikos, followed by Welsh club Wrexham FC and then Vitoria Setubal of the Portuguese topflight.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union re-signs defender Aurelien Collin on April 2, 2021.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 2, 2021
- Rapids Face Rocky Mountain Cup Rivals Real Salt Lake on Saturday in Preseason Scrimmage - Colorado Rapids
- Academy Update: Breaking Down the U-12 Program - Inter Miami CF
- Timbers Announce Additional Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 Campaign - Portland Timbers
- Alistair Johnston Sees His First Start, First Assist and First Goal for Canada - Nashville SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Community Partnership with KultureCity to Certify New Crew Stadium as Sensory Inclusive - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United Announces 50% Capacity for Home Opener - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs U.S. Forward Bobby Wood - Real Salt Lake
- Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Defender Aurelien Collin - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union come from behind to score twice in final minutes of match to take a point on the road
- Philadelphia Union Sign Head Coach Jim Curtin to Contract Extension
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Alvas Powell
- Przybylko breaks tie with Jack McInerney to hold third on the clubs all-time scoring list
- Union remain undefeated on the road