Philadelphia Union Drawn into Group a of MLS Is Back Tournament
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union learned their opponents for the MLS is Back Tournament on Thursday afternoon, getting drawn into Group A with Orlando City SC, Inter Miami CF, New York City FC and Chicago Fire FC.
With the club being selected into the group in the No. 4 position, the Union will face off against Inter Miami CF, New York City SC and Nashville SC. The MLS is Back Tournament is the league's plan to restart the 2020 season with all 26 MLS clubs competing in the MLS is Back Tournament at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida beginning July 8. The tournament, which will be played without fans in attendance, provides a compelling way for MLS to resume its 25th season. Group stage matches will count in the MLS regular season standings and the tournament winner will earn a spot in the 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League.
The Union enter the tournament having tied the 2019 MLS Supporters Shield winners LAFC 3-3 on national television in early March and are looking for their first three points while in Orlando. Meanwhile the Union's three opponents are still in search of their first points of the 2020 MLS season with Inter Miami having lost to D.C. United and LAFC. Fellow MLS newcomer Nashville SC have lost to Atlanta United FC and Portland Timbers while NYCFC dropped contests to Toronto FC and Columbus Crew SC to begin their campaign.
Clubs will begin arriving in Orlando as early as June 24 for training. Clubs that can conduct full team training in their markets pursuant to the league's medical and testing protocols must arrive no later than seven days before their first match.
Similar to a FIFA World Cup format, the tournament will feature a continuous schedule of matches nearly every day, with games beginning at 9 a.m., 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. EDT. The vast majority of the matches will be played in the evening. Each team will play three group stage matches, and those results will count in the 2020 MLS regular season standings. After 16 consecutive days of group stage matches, the top two teams from each group along with the four best third-place finishers will move on to the knockout stage. The knockout stage will include a Round-of-16, Quarterfinals, Semifinals, and the Championship match will take place on August 11. Matches tied at the end of regulation in the knock-out phase will proceed directly to a penalty kick shootout. Click here for the MLS is Back Tournament Competition Guidelines.
MLS worked with U.S. Soccer, Canada Soccer and Concacaf to institute a one-time change to MLS berths to the annual Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League. The MLS is Back Tournament winner will earn a spot in the 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League, regardless of whether it is a U.S. or Canadian club. The winner would replace the berth previously awarded to the MLS regular season points leader in the conference opposite the 2020 Supporters' Shield winner.
In addition to matches that count in the regular season standings and the Champions League berth, players will have the opportunity to earn additional bonuses as part of a $1.1 million prize pool.
The substitution limit for the tournament will follow the new protocol set by the IFAB and allow five substitutions per match. In addition, teams may name up to 23 players on each official match day roster. Also, the Professional Referees Organization (PRO) will have access to video review for all games.
June 24: Teams begin arriving in Florida
July 8: MLS is Back Tournament group stage begins
July 25-28: Round-of-16
July 30- Aug. 1: Quarterfinals
August 5-6: Semifinals
August 11: MLS is Back Tournament Final
MLS IS BACK TOURNAMENT - July 8 - August 11
Number of Matches: 54 (39 group; 15 knockout)
No. of matchdays: 26
Format: Group Stage, followed by Round-of-16, Quarterfinals, Semifinals & Championship match
Minimum Matches: 3 (per club)
Maximum Matches: 7 (per club)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 11, 2020
- Nashville SC Placed into Group a for MLS Is Back Tournament, Will Face Orlando, Philadelphia and Chicago - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Hires Adam Owen as High Performance Director & Technical Advisor - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Drawn into Group B at MLS Is Back Tournament - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy to Compete in Group F of the MLS Is Back Tournament - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC Drawn into Group C for MLS Is Back Tournament - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas to Face Seattle Sounders FC, Vancouver Whitecaps FC and San Jose Earthquakes in MLS Is Back Tournament - FC Dallas
- Timbers Draw Los Angeles FC, La Galaxy and Houston Dynamo for MLS Is Back Tournament - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire FC Drawn into Group a in the MLS Is Back Tournament - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Drawn into Group B for MLS Is Back Tournament in Orlando - Seattle Sounders FC
- Group Stage Matchups Set for MLS Is Back Tournament - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Drawn into Group a of MLS Is Back Tournament - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Is Back Tournament Draw: Revolution Drawn into Group C - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Learns MLS Is Back Tournament Opponents - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Drawn into Group B for MLS Is Back Tournament - San Jose Earthquakes
- Montreal Impact in Group C for Orlando Tournament - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati Drawn into Group E for MLS Is Back Tournament - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Draws FC Cincinnati, New York Red Bulls and Columbus Crew SC for MLS Is Back Tournament - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Draw Toronto FC, New England Revolution and Montreal Impact in Group C of MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Learns Opponents for MLS Is Back Tournament - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City SC to Face Inter Miami in MLS Is Back Opener; Group Draw Today - Orlando City SC
- MLS Is Back Tournament Group Draw Today - MLS
- #MLSisBack Tournament Draw Preview - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Resume Full Team Training - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo Sign Winger & Academy Alum Nico Lemoine from Rio Grande Valley FC - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union on to MLS is Back Semifinals
- Sergio Santos scores match winner, Union advance to MLS is Back Tournament Quarterfinals
- Goal from Ilsinho earns Union another point in draw against Orlando
- Five players make their debut in Union II's return to play
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Nathan Harriel to Homegrown Contract