Philadelphia Union and Captain Morgan Team up to Help Local Covid-19 Relief Effort as Part of MLS Unites
CHESTER, Pa. - The Philadelphia Union community is one of many across the globe that are currently facing a series of unprecedented challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic. As part of MLS Unites, a league-wide platform designed to educate communities, entertain fans and elevate heroic efforts during the pandemic, and to show our love and commitment to the city we call home, our Philadelphia Union partner Captain Morgan has pledged a donation of at least $55,000 (US) to Philadelphia Union Foundation.
Coinciding with this week's MLS Unites programming, supporting those in need, the donation to Philadelphia Union Foundation is part of Captain Morgan's initial pledge of $500,000 (US) across the United States and Canada to assist local MLS communities affected by COVID-19. Captain Morgan is working with each of their nine local club partners, including Philadelphia Union, to facilitate a donation of at least $55,000 (US) to a charitable organization of the clubs' choosing, and we couldn't be more excited to have 501(c)(3) Philadelphia Union Foundation be the recipient of the donation. Each of the charities is focused on providing meals and relief to local COVID-19 frontline workers and community members in need during this difficult time. A full list of the organizations to which their donations are being distributed can be found here: https://www.captainmorgancontestrules.com/captainschallenge.
"The Union continue to be inspired by the heroic men and women who are on the frontlines of this pandemic and are fighting with them," said Tim McDermott, Philadelphia Union President. "Now more than ever, it's important to give back to the community that we love and call home. I am incredibly grateful to Captain Morgan for their support and continued partnership of the Union. Philly is stronger when we are fighting together."
"Captain Morgan is proud and honored to be in partnership with Major League Soccer, and we remain committed to supporting this incredible league," Captain Morgan, Vice President, Sam Salameh said. "During these challenging times, it's important that we unite as a community and work to overcome this together. Captain Morgan is proud to be united with MLS and each of our partner clubs, in an effort to bring relief to our club communities across the United States and within Canada."
For Union fans interested in getting involved in the relief effort, Captain Morgan will kick off The Captain's Challenge on its Instagram channel (@CaptainMorganUSA ) today Tuesday, April 21. The Captain's Challenge will feature fans showing off their best nutmegging skills - that is, kicking a ball between someone's or something's legs. Don't have a soccer ball at home? Feel free to get creative - a balled up pair of socks, a pillow, a roll of TP - almost anything will work. For those who live by themselves, it's possible to nutmeg anything with legs, whether that be a table or chair. Captain Morgan will be taking select fan submissions and showcasing them alongside commentary from MLS legend Taylor Twellman.
For every qualifying video U.S. fans (21+) share to their public Instagram (in feed or stories) tagging @CaptainMorganUSA and including the hashtag #CaptainMorganDonation, Captain Morgan will donate $25 (US) up to an additional $50,000 (US)1 on top of the initial pledge of $500,000 (US) to assist MLS communities affected by this crisis.
The Philadelphia Union encourages all of our fans and fellow community members to join us, Captain Morgan and MLS to Unite for Those In Need. If you're over 21, get 'megging - we can't wait to see what you've got. Please do it safely and responsibly: Captain's Orders.
For more information on "MLS Unites," visit mlssoccer.com/mls-unites.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 21, 2020
- LA Galaxy Join 'Teams for LA' to Benefit the Mayor's Fund for Los Angeles - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Players and Staff Take Part in Bloodworks Northwest Blood Drive this Friday at T-Mobile Park - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas and Toyota Partner to Deliver Meals to City House - FC Dallas
- 2020 Sounders FC Sports Science Seminar Presented by adidas Continues this Wednesday - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Unites for Those in Need - MLS
- MLS Unites for Those in Need - FC Dallas
- Philadelphia Union and Captain Morgan Team up to Help Local Covid-19 Relief Effort as Part of MLS Unites - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union & Philadelphia Union Foundation Launch "FIGHT FOR PHILLYÃ¢ÂÂ Campaign - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC and Captain Morgan Team up to Help Local Covid-19 Relief Effort as Part of MLS Unites - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami CF and Captain Morgan Pledge An Initial Donation of at Least $55k to Mourning Family Foundation to Help Local COVID-19 Relief Efforts - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville Soccer Club and Captain Morgan Team up to Help Local COVID-19 Relief Effort as Part of MLS Unites - Nashville SC
- Seattle Sounders FC and Captain Morgan Team up to Help Local COVID-19 Relief Effort as Part of MLS Unites - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United and Captain Morgan Team up to Help Local COVID-19 Relief Effort as Part of MLS Unites - D.C. United
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Alejandro Bedoya nets winner in team's first MLS Is Back match
- IHeartMedia Philadelphia and Philadelphia Union Announce FOX Sports Radio "The Gambler" as Official Radio Broadcast
- Philadelphia Union Kick Off July 9 in MLS is Back Tournament
- Kevin Durant Joins the Philadelphia Union as Investor and Community Partner
- Philadelphia Union Drawn into Group a of MLS Is Back Tournament