Petes Acquire Pharand, Melee, and Six Picks from the Hamilton Bulldogs
(Peterborough, ON) - Peterborough Petes General Manager Michael Oke announced today that the team has acquired forwards Alex Pharand , Jonathan Melee , and six OHL Priority Selection picks from the Bulldogs in exchange for Mason McTavish.
Pharand, a 2005-born right-shot forward, was selected by the Bulldogs in the first round, 14th overall in the 2021 OHL Priority Selection. The 6'2", 185 lbs Sudbury, Ontario native has registered four points (one goal, three assists) in 23 games in his rookie season. In November, Pharand was named to Hockey Canada's U17 2021 Capital City Challenge, where he played alongside Petes forward Nick Lardis on Team Black. He registered three points (one goal, two assists) and six PIM in five games. Pharand scored his first OHL goal against Peterborough on November 18, 2021.
"I can't wait to join this historic franchise," said Pharand. "I'm excited for the opportunity to play in Peterborough and provide offence to help this team win."
Melee, who was selected in the second round, 21st overall in the 2020 OHL Priority Selection by the Bulldogs, has seven points (six goals, one assist) in 26 games this season. In November, the 6'1", 183 lbs Rockland, Ontario native earned a 'C' rating in NHL's Central Scouting 'Players to Watch' List. In 31 regular season games with the Rockland Nationals (HEOMAAA) in 2019-20, he collected 37 points (nine goals, 28 assists). His 1.19 points-per-game ranked him third in the league amongst 2004-born skaters.
"I've heard nothing but great things about Peterborough," expressed Melee. "I'm excited to play for the Petes and will do everything I can to help the team win hockey games."
"We're excited to add two young, talented players to our team," said Oke. "Pharand brings size to our lineup and is a strong skater with a good transition game, while Malee's work ethic, speed, and strength on the puck is a great asset to our hockey club. It was extremely difficult to trade a player of Mason's calibre and we would like to thank him for being a world-class player for our club. We wish him all the best moving forward."
In addition to Pharand and Melee, the Petes also acquired North Bay Battalion and Sarnia Sting's second round pick in 2022, Kitchener Rangers and Sting's third round picks in 2023, Bulldogs third round pick in 2024, and a conditional Bulldogs 4th round pick in 2025.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 9, 2022
- Tullio Leads Generals to Victory over Wolves - Oshawa Generals
- Returning Home on a High Note - Mississauga Steelheads
- Attack Stumble in Return against Colts - Owen Sound Attack
- Rangers Topped by London - Kitchener Rangers
- Generals Return Home to Battle Wolves - Oshawa Generals
- Spitfires Sweep the Soo, Win 10-4 in Sunday Action - Windsor Spitfires
- Petes Acquire Pharand, Melee, and Six Picks from the Hamilton Bulldogs - Peterborough Petes
- Bulldogs Acquire Mason McTavish - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rangers and Storm Complete Trade - Kitchener Rangers
- IceDogs Complete Uberti Trade with Mississauga - Niagara IceDogs
- Colts Acquire Lightning Prospect Declan McDonnell from Kitchener - Barrie Colts
- Rangers and Colts Complete Trade - Kitchener Rangers
- Coe Produces in Overtime - North Bay Battalion
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peterborough Petes Stories
- Petes Sign Jack Van Volsen to Standard Player Agreement
- 2022 Development Camp Schedule Set
- Petes Select Three Players in 2022 OHL U-18 Priority Selection
- Three Petes Named to NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings
- Petes to Make up to Three Picks in the 2022 U-18 OHL Priority Selection