Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6
The Wave jumped out to an early advantage in their rematch against the SeaWolves in front of 4,024 Wave fans, scoring three goals in the first quarter, two by Isaac Pereyra (including one assisted by the returning Ali Barry) and one by Marcio Leite assisted by Max Ferdinand, extending the latter's point streak to 21 games.
The SeaWolves got on the board 36 seconds into the second period to cut the deficit to 3-1. Wave captain Ian Bennett would respond with 10 minutes left in the second period with an assist by Leite to make it a 4-1 game. However, a merely 36 seconds later the SeaWolves would score the first of three unanswered goals which left the teams tied 4-4 at halftime. Ferdinand got the Wave the advantage back six minutes into the third with a goal assisted by Leite. A mere 15 seconds later, Pereyra scored his hat trick goal, which was assisted by Mario Alvarez. Derek Huffman would have an unassisted goal towards the end of the third, followed by a goal by Alvarez (assisted by Pereyra) with just six second left in the third for a 7-4 lead. Pereyra would score 3 more goals in the fourth, with assists for Huffman and Ferdinand respectively. Hans Denissen, who spent nearly two months on the shelf injured, scored the game's final goal (assisted by Huffman) which clinched the Wave's 12-6 victory.
Denissen showed no signs of rust on the pitch, and spoke of the importance of him contributing both on and off the field. "I was happy to be participating and on the field, especially as we get ready to try and make the playoffs."
Coach Giuliano Oliviero spoke about to the going into halftime with a tie "we got off to an early lead, but we got a little complacent, so we went into the half and regrouped." A great deal of depth/players returning from injury made a great impact this weekend, with coach saying "it was a great test and evaluation of several players at this point of the season, and was great to see Mario Alvarez start to return to form playing in both games this weekend." Coach Oliviero was also clear that their work was far from done, "Baltimore has been playing really well and we have guaranteed anything. This matchup in our house, could very well have massive playoff implications."
Final Score: Milwaukee Wave 12, Orlando SeaWolves 6.
The Wave (14-6) hit the road for one game against the St. Louis Ambush on Friday March 13th at 7:35 pm, before returning home to take on the Baltimore Blast on Sunday March 15th with a 1:07 pm first kick. It will be the final Wave home game of the regular season and will Princesses & Superheroes & Wave Fan Appreciation Game! Meet your favorite Princesses and Superheroes, plus a pre-game parade! Wave fans will also be able to bid on a custom Superhero Jersey. Fans will have the chance to WIN amazing prizes! And enjoy $3 beer, pretzels & popcorn!
For tickets and more information visit MilwaukeeWave.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 8, 2020
- Sockers Defense Leads the Way in Win - San Diego Sockers
- Stars Knocked off by Sockers 6-2 Sunday - Tacoma Stars
- Cal Express End Texas Trip 1-1 - Turlock Cal Express
- Reget Sets Franchise Mark with Eight Points in 14-6 Rout of Ambush - Florida Tropics SC
- Turlock Walks Away with a Win against Dallas - Dallas Sidekicks
- Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6 - Milwaukee Wave
- St. Louis Ambush Trampled by Tropics - St. Louis Ambush
- Stars in San Diego to Take on Sockers - Tacoma Stars
- Palmer Powers Comets to Comeback Victory - Kansas City Comets
- Cold Second Half for SeaWolves as They Fall to Milwaukee - Orlando SeaWolves
- Utica Stunned by Kansas City in Overtime - Utica City FC
- Game Notes: Sidekicks vs. Turlock - Dallas Sidekicks
- Heat Lose on the Road to Blast 9-5 - Harrisburg Heat
- Fury Rally for the Win in Overtime - Ontario Fury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Milwaukee Wave announces cancellation of 2020-21 season
- Washington County FC Joins ROC Ventures SC Wave Family
- Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6
- Wave Defeat Seawovles in Game One of Douleheader
- Back to Back Home Games for Milwaukee Wave this Weekend