Fury Rally for the Win in Overtime
The Ontario Fury rallied from a two-goal halftime deficit and Franck Tayou slammed home the game-winner in overtime as the Fury knocked off the Tacoma Stars on Saturday night at Toyota Arena.
Tayou's overtime winner came after the Fury were forced to kill a penalty in the final 1:39 of regulation. Ontario's defense held strong, killed the final 21 seconds to start the extra period and had a couple of chances before Justin Stinson came out of the left-wing corner and centered it to Tayou for the winner.
The Fury fell behind 2-0 in the first quarter on goals from Micheal Ramos and Lamar Neagle. The Fury got one back, as Juan Carlos Gonzalez put one in the upper corner to end the quarter at 2-1. Tacoma got their two-goal lead back, as Douglas Lima poked the ball home, sending Tacoma to the locker rooms up by two.
Ontario cut the lead, as Tayou took a feed from Joseph Cairel to make it 3-2, but the Stars got a break to retake the two-goal lead. An Ontario pass back to goalkeeper Chris Toth deflected off a referee to Alessandro Canales, who was able to get Toth to commit before sliding the ball into the net.
The Fury then ran off three straight goals to take the lead. Maicon de Abreu took a pass from Juan Topete and put it home. Tayou tied the game off a feed from Cairel, and then, Nestor Hernandez gave Ontario the lead, taking a throw from Toth and going up the left side and sliding the ball inside the right post for a 5-4 lead after three.
Evan McNeley tied the game with just under 10 minutes left in the fourth, driving home a free kick from the top of the box. Each team had chances to take the lead, but both goalkeepers held strong. Toth made eight saves on 13 shots faced, while Danny Waltman had nine saves on 15 shots faced.
Ontario will close out the home portion of its regular season schedule against the Turlock Cal Express at 7 p.m. Friday at Toyota Arena. The Fury will be wearing special Star Wars themed jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game. Tickets for the game are on sale now at the Toyota Arena box office, online at Ticketmaster.com or by calling the Fury's offices at 909-457-0252.
Season tickets for the 2020-21 season are also on sale now, with early bird packages now available. For information, contact the Fury offices at 909-457-0252.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 8, 2020
- Sockers Defense Leads the Way in Win - San Diego Sockers
- Stars Knocked off by Sockers 6-2 Sunday - Tacoma Stars
- Cal Express End Texas Trip 1-1 - Turlock Cal Express
- Reget Sets Franchise Mark with Eight Points in 14-6 Rout of Ambush - Florida Tropics SC
- Turlock Walks Away with a Win against Dallas - Dallas Sidekicks
- Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6 - Milwaukee Wave
- St. Louis Ambush Trampled by Tropics - St. Louis Ambush
- Stars in San Diego to Take on Sockers - Tacoma Stars
- Palmer Powers Comets to Comeback Victory - Kansas City Comets
- Cold Second Half for SeaWolves as They Fall to Milwaukee - Orlando SeaWolves
- Utica Stunned by Kansas City in Overtime - Utica City FC
- Game Notes: Sidekicks vs. Turlock - Dallas Sidekicks
- Heat Lose on the Road to Blast 9-5 - Harrisburg Heat
- Fury Rally for the Win in Overtime - Ontario Fury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.