Reget Sets Franchise Mark with Eight Points in 14-6 Rout of Ambush
LAKELAND, Fla. - Zach Reget set a team record with eight points, and the Florida Tropics reduced their magic number for clinching first place the Major Arena Soccer League's Eastern Conference, after they rolled the St. Louis Ambush, 14-6, Sunday at the RP Funding Center in Lakeland.
With his five goals (to go along with three assists), Reget -- who was named Rookie of the Year last season with St. Louis before coming over to the Tropics in an off-season trade -- also tied a team record for goals in a game. With Utica's loss Sunday, the Tropics need to win just one of their remaining three games, or have Utica drop one of its remaining five games, to clinch the top seed in the conference playoffs which will be played starting the weekend of March 27. The Tropics will be guaranteed home field advantage for at least the first two-rounds of the Ron Newman Cup playoffs.
Florida came roaring out the gates with four goals in the first 10 minutes, and St. Louis went to an unorthodox strategy of pulling its goaltender for the rest of the game. That strategy worked for a while, as the Ambush pulled to within 6-4 in the third quarter before Florida reeled off seven unanswered goals.
Guilherme and Victor Parrieras each had a goal and three assists, while Drew Ruggles, Fernando Machado and Ricardo Carvalho had two goals each. Lucas Teixeira also scored a goal as Florida improved to 18-3 on the season. St. Louis fell to 9-12.
Florida could clinch as early as Wednesday, when Utica plays in Harrisburg, but could also do it next Sunday, March 15, when they host the Kansas City Comets. Kickoff at the RP Funding Center in Lakeland is 3:05 p.m. For ticket information, call 863-240-0101, or visit www.fltropics.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 8, 2020
- Sockers Defense Leads the Way in Win - San Diego Sockers
- Stars Knocked off by Sockers 6-2 Sunday - Tacoma Stars
- Cal Express End Texas Trip 1-1 - Turlock Cal Express
- Reget Sets Franchise Mark with Eight Points in 14-6 Rout of Ambush - Florida Tropics SC
- Turlock Walks Away with a Win against Dallas - Dallas Sidekicks
- Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6 - Milwaukee Wave
- St. Louis Ambush Trampled by Tropics - St. Louis Ambush
- Stars in San Diego to Take on Sockers - Tacoma Stars
- Palmer Powers Comets to Comeback Victory - Kansas City Comets
- Cold Second Half for SeaWolves as They Fall to Milwaukee - Orlando SeaWolves
- Utica Stunned by Kansas City in Overtime - Utica City FC
- Game Notes: Sidekicks vs. Turlock - Dallas Sidekicks
- Heat Lose on the Road to Blast 9-5 - Harrisburg Heat
- Fury Rally for the Win in Overtime - Ontario Fury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Tropics SC Stories
- Tropics Get Back on Track in Nipping Ontario Fury, 8-7, to Close Home Portion of 2021 Schedule
- Tropics Drop Second Straight Overtime Game, this Time 4-3 to San Diego Sockers
- Tropics Give up Game Winner 10 Seconds into OT as Tacoma Scores 7-6 Comeback Win
- MASL's 'Sunshine Series' Will Come to Lakeland with Six Games in Four Days this Weekend
- Florida Adds UCFC Midfielder Nate Bourdeau for Remainder of 2021 MASL Season