Pens Sign DeSantis; Orpik Added to Pensfest
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins have signed defenseman Jason DeSantis to an American Hockey League contract, it was announced on Tuesday.
DeSantis, 24, returns to the United States after spending 14 games with Liberec Bili Tygri HC in the Czech Republic, where he recorded five points (3G, 2A) and 10 penalty minutes.
The 5-11, 185-lb. native of Oxford, Michigan spent parts of two consecutive seasons with the Philadelphia Phantoms (AHL), where he went on to post 22 points (1G, 21A) in 66 games.
DeSantis completed his four-year collegiate career at Ohio State (NCAA) in 2008, where he was a two-time Scholar-Athlete honoree and an Academic All-Big Ten choice. During his senior season, DeSantis led all Buckeyes defensemen with 20 points, and led the team in assists (20) during his junior year.
FREE, FAMILY FUN FRIDAY AT PENSFEST
The city of Wilkes-Barre's newest, state-of-the-art community complex is ready to welcome the public to its first major event as PENS-FEST 2010 is all set to celebrate the upcoming hockey season.
The extravaganza, featuring numerous free activities for fans of all ages, kicks off this Friday, August 20th at 4:00 pm at the Community Ice Rink at Coal Street Park. PENS-FEST 2010 will feature outdoor games and activities, face painters, entertainment, a visit from team mascot Tux, as well as current and former Penguins players.
Highlighting the events will be a pair of FREE public skating sessions. Everyone is welcome to come down and experience the area's newest and coolest spot to lace up the skates for no cost at all (skate rental is also free)!
Penguins fans will also get the first glimpse of the team's 2010-11 alternate jersey, can check out merchandise and equipment in the expanded team pro shop, and will be able to tour the team's new locker room facilities.
The event runs until 9:00pm and is free and open to everyone (Food and beverages will be available to purchase from the rink's concession stand).
Additionally, one of the Penguins' newest signings, Andrew Orpik, will join Chris Collins and Ryan Lannon in greeting Penguins fans at PENS-FEST 2010.
Orpik, the younger brother of Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik, completed his four-year collegiate career with Boston College (HE) in 2009. He finished his tenure with 47 points (18G, 29A) and 145 penalty minutes in 155 games, and was a member of the Eagles' 2008 National Championship Team.
For more information on PENS-FEST 2010, contact the Penguins at 570-208-7367.
WHAT: Pens-Fest 2010
WHERE: The Ice Rink at Coal Street, 40 Coal Street, Wilkes-Barre
WHEN: Friday, August 20 from 4:00pm-9:00pm
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
. Outdoor Games and Activities: 4:00-8:00pm
. FREE Public Skating Session #1: 4:00-6:00pm
. Player Autograph Signings: 6:00-8:00pm
. FREE Public Skating Session #2: 7:30-9:00pm
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from August 17, 2010
- Pens Sign DeSantis; Orpik Added to Pensfest - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Lightning Set Roster for Traverse City Tournament - Norfolk Admirals
- Get Your Season Ticket with Cheese from Sonic - Rockford IceHogs
- Checkers Announce Preseason Home Game October 3 - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Yearling Foundation Donates $202,000 to 11 Local Children's Charities - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals and Checkers to Square off in Home and Home Series of Exhibition Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Canadiens Acquire Goaltender Karri Ramo from Lightning in Return for Cedrick Desjardins - Hamilton Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Sign Goaltender Shane Starrett
- Forrest Named Head Coach, Karmanos Named GM of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mike Vellucci, Todd Reirden Hired as Assistant Coaches by Pittsburgh
- Penguins Sign Felix Robert and Luke Stevens
- Pittsburgh's Postseason Roster Features 19 Alumni of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton