Pelicans Drop Second Game to Fireflies 6-2
Myrtle Beach dropped their second-straight game to Columbia to start off the series by the final of 6-2 on Wednesday night. The loss drops the Pelicans back to the .500 mark at 13-13 while the Fireflies move up to 17-9, the second-most wins in the Low-A East.
In a game that was riddled with fielding mistakes, the Pelicans' bats never got going either as they collected just five hits for the evening. Pablo Aliendo (2-4) continued his charge with his sixth multi-hit performance in his last seven games. Matt Mervis (1-2, 2 R, 2 BB) scored the only two runs of the game for the Birds.
Manuel Espinoza (1-3) started the game and took the loss after throwing a season-low four innings with six runs allowed off seven hits. Only one of the runs was earned as the Pelicans committed a season-high five errors in the field.
For the second game in a row, the Fireflies posted double-digit hits on the Pelicans with 10 on the night. Juan Carlos Negret (2-5, HR, 2B, 2 RBI) led the effort with his third home run of the season and a double to go along with it. Maikel Garcia (2-5, 2B, RBI) once again knocked multiple hits after gathering a three-hit performance in last night's game, and Herard Gonzalez (2-5, R) picked up two hits of his own in the victory.
Columbia only used two pitchers all night as Adrian Alcantra (2-2) became the first Firefly starting pitcher to pick up a win this season. He went five scoreless innings with only two hits allowed, one walk, and nine strikeouts. Cruz Noriega came on in relief and tossed the final four innings to pick up the save.
Just as they did last night, the Fireflies took their first lead of the game in the second inning. After Jake Means flew out to start the inning, Brady McConnell grounded a routine ball to Fabian Pertuz at third base but reached base after Pertuz's throw went over the head of first baseman Raymond Pena and out of play. Negret came up next and shot a home run over the left-field wall to put Columbia up 2-0. Omar Hernandez got on with a single following the home run, and after a throwing error from Pelicans' shortstop Kevin Made got Omar Hernandez to third, Diego Hernandez flew out to left-field for a sacrifice fly and it was 3-0 Fireflies after two.
The Birds started the bottom half with runners on first and second but couldn't cash in leaving both runners on base to end the inning.
Columbia poured it on in their half of the fourth inning with three more runs. After the first two batters were retired, Hernandez singled to centerfield to get on base. Herard Gonzalez then came up and flew out to Mervis in left field but as he was running in, the ball hit off his glove and fell to the grass for the third error of the game for Myrtle Beach and Hernandez came home to score as Gonzalez got to second. Darryl Collins came up and singled home Gonzalez to extend the visitor's lead to 4-0. Garcia then hit a two-out double to score Colling and complete another three-run inning.
The Pelicans scored one run in each the seventh and ninth innings. Pertuz reached on a fielding error that scored Mervis in the seventh, and Mervis scored again on a Jonathan Sierra single in the final frame.
Myrtle Beach and Columbia will play the third game of the series on Thursday evening with first pitch slated for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from June 3, 2021
- FredNats Run Wild in 6-2 Win - Fredericksburg Nationals
- RiverDogs Blank GreenJackets 7-0 for First Win of Series - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Finally Fall on the Road to FredNats - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Winning Streak Ends at Three, Charleston Wins 7-0 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Pelicans and Fireflies Suspended Due to Weather - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Scoreless Outing Suspended in Sixth in Myrtle Beach - Columbia Fireflies
- TJ Shook Placed on Carolina Injured List - Carolina Mudcats
- Columbia Fireflies Roster Moves and Game Notes at Myrtle Beach - Columbia Fireflies
- Wood Ducks and Mudcats Postponed Again - Down East Wood Ducks
- Mudcats and Wood Ducks Postponed Again - Carolina Mudcats
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - 06/03 at Carolina - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Drop Second Game to Fireflies 6-2 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.