Patriots Rout Blue Crabs in Dominant Effort
Waldorf, Maryland - The Somerset Patriots (18-10) put together a dominant performance Saturday night in a 9-1 win over the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs (6-22) at Regency Furniture Stadium.
The Patriots jumped in front 3-0 in the top of the third inning. Eight batters came to the plate in the frame, including RBI singles from D'Arby Myers and Will Kengor, along with an RBI groundout from Edwin Espinal.
Yovan Gonzalez added to the Patriots lead in the next inning with a two-run double to right-center field. That chased Blue Crabs' starter Brandon Cumpton (1-4) from the ballgame.
Somerset increased its lead to 8-0 in the top of the sixth on an Espinal RBI single and a Kengor (2) two-run home run. Frank Martinez (3) answered with a solo home run in the bottom of the inning to get the Blue Crabs on the board.
Rey Navarro contributed an RBI single in the top of the seventh to add to Somerset's lead and top off the scoring.
Myers finished the game 5-for-6 from the plate and just a home run shy of the cycle. He became the first Patriot to record five hits in a game this season.
Vince Molesky tossed four shutout innings as Somerset's starting pitcher, but did not qualify for the win. Jake Joyce (2-1) received the win after tossing two scoreless innings of relief.
Somerset and Southern Maryland conclude their three-game series Sunday evening. Thomas Dorminy (0-3, 4.82 ERA) takes the mound for the Patriots against Blue Crabs righty Michael Kelly (0-2, 5.40 ERA). First pitch at Regency Furniture Stadium is scheduled for 6:35 pm.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford will continue on the road until Tuesday, June 4th when the team returns to TD Bank Ballpark for a 7:05 pm game against the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
D'Arby Myers of the Somerset Patriots
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 25, 2019
- Mesa's Monster Night Powers Revs Past 'Stormers - York Revolution
- Patriots Rout Blue Crabs in Dominant Effort - Somerset Patriots
- Bees Clicking On All Cylinders In Fourth Straight Victory - New Britain Bees
- Two-Out Thunder Helps Ducks Swat Skeeters - Long Island Ducks
- Mesa's Big Night Downs 'Stormers - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Blue Crabs Set Down by Somerset - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- George Kontos' Contract Purchased by Washington Nationals - Long Island Ducks
- Revs Bats Come Alive Late, Cannot Complete Comeback in War of the Roses Opener - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.