Blue Crabs Set Down by Somerset
Waldorf, MD. - The Blue Crabs, fresh off a heartbreaking loss to the Somerset Patriots in the series opener, showed signs of life throughout a rainy evening in Waldorf, but were ultimately outmatched in game two of a three game series, losing by a final score of 9-1.
The Somerset bats struck early and often with right-hander Brandon Cumpton (L, 1-4) on the mound. They started the scoring parade with a trio of runs in the third inning, headlined by three consecutive base hits, leading to the Patriots jumping on top early.
After Somerset tacked on another pair of runs in the top of the fourth inning, all signs pointed to the Blue Crabs striking back in the bottom of the fifth, as they began the inning with three back-to-back-to-back base knocks. The Somerset pitching staff incredibly managed to silence the threat, as they would keep the Blue Crabs scoreless in the half inning, with the game heading into the latter stages holding a score of 5-0.
The Patriots kept their scoring charge going in the top of the sixth, as they would string together another three runs. Following an RBI single from Edwin Espinal to kickstart the sixth inning scoring, he would later score on a Will Kengor two run home run, notching the scoring tally at 8-1.
The Blue Crabs cracked their runs column open in the bottom of the sixth when Frank Martinez roped a solo home run, giving the Blue Crabs their lone run of the game, as Jake Joyce (W, 2-1) got the job done. The Patriots added one more run in the top of the seventh, and it would be too tall of a mountain to climb, as Southern Maryland would fall to the Patriots by a final score of 9-1.
The Blue Crabs will return home tomorrow, Sunday, May 26th to continue their seven game homestand at Regency Furniture Stadium, with the first pitch at 6:35 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 25, 2019
- Mesa's Monster Night Powers Revs Past 'Stormers - York Revolution
- Patriots Rout Blue Crabs in Dominant Effort - Somerset Patriots
- Bees Clicking On All Cylinders In Fourth Straight Victory - New Britain Bees
- Two-Out Thunder Helps Ducks Swat Skeeters - Long Island Ducks
- Mesa's Big Night Downs 'Stormers - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Blue Crabs Set Down by Somerset - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- George Kontos' Contract Purchased by Washington Nationals - Long Island Ducks
- Revs Bats Come Alive Late, Cannot Complete Comeback in War of the Roses Opener - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Charlie Valerio Signs with the San Diego Padres
- Breakfast with Ã¢ÂÂSanta Claws' Returns
- Blue Crabs Release Revamped Backfin Buddies Kids Club Plan
- Thompson Wins ALPB Pitcher of the Year, Garcia Repeats Rawlings Gold Glove Defensive Player of the Year
- Blue Crabs Draft Trio of Bats in Bees Dispersal Draft