Patriots Bats Explode in 10-3 Win
Central Islip, New York - The Somerset Patriots (15-24, 57-52) downed the Long Island Ducks (21-17, 64-44) 10-3 on Wednesday night at Bethpage Ballpark.
Somerset didn't have to wait long to get on the scoreboard. In the top of the first, Gabriel
Bracamonte drew a bases loaded walk with two outs to set the Patriots ahead 1-0.
After an hour-long rain delay in the bottom of the first inning play resumed.
Then in the third, it was another bases loaded walk, this time to Craig Massey, that extended the lead to two runs.
The Ducks responded in the fourth with an L.J. Mazzilli RBI groundout to cut the Somerset lead in half.
But in the top of the fifth, the Patriots bats were at it again. Massey blooped an 0-2 pitch to right field and after right fielder Daniel Fields couldn't make the diving grab, Massey advanced to third. Massey was able to score on a wild relay throw from Mazzilli. Teodoro Martinez, the very next batter, launched his fourth home run of the season over the wall in left to bring the Patriots lead to three runs.
Long Island added a run in the sixth on a Hector Sanchez RBI single.
Massey added another RBI with a sacrifice fly in the seventh.
The Patriots sealed the victory with a five run eighth inning. Will Kengor scored on an error by shortstop Vladimir Frias with one out in the inning. Later, Bracamonte collected two RBI on a single up the middle, and Massey drove in two more on a double to right-center.
The Ducks scored once in the eighth on a Lew Ford single to cap off the scoring.
Offensively, Massey and Bracamonte led the way for Somerset. Massey went 2-3 with a season-high four RBI. While Bracamonte went 1-3 with three RBI and a pair of walks.
James Pugliese (4-1) earns the victory after he worked two innings of one run baseball in relief of Tyler Cloyd.
Seth Simmons (6-8) is handed the loss after allowing four runs, three earned, on five hits over five innings of work. The right-hander also walked six batters.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots season presented by Ford continues with one more game on the road against the Ducks before the team returns home on Friday, August 23 to host the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Craig Massey of the Somerset Patriots
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 22, 2019
- Steinfort Leads Revs to Second Consecutive Shutout Victory in Debut - York Revolution
- Lancaster Falls In Series Finale - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Big Bats and Strong Pitching Lead Somerset - Somerset Patriots
- Early Runs Lead Somerset Past Long Island - Long Island Ducks
- York Snags Series Finale - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Skeeters Snap Losing Skid With Late-Inning Comeback Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Patriots Bats Explode in 10-3 Win - Somerset Patriots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- "Despicable" Plan and Tactics Bring MiLB under MLB's Total Control
- New York Yankees Announce Somerset Patriots as Double-A Affiliate
- New York Yankees Announce New Minor League Affiliation Structure
- Sculpture Unveiled at TD Bank Ballpark to Honor Steve Kalafer and Sparky Lyle
- Somerset Patriots Help Atlantic League Earn Designation as Partner League of Major League Baseball