Partnership Launches Jr. Greyhounds Brand for 2019-20 Season
The Soo Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) are pleased to announce the formalization of a partnership with both Sault Major Hockey Association and the Sault Female Hockey Association that will see the rep teams of these two organizations donning a new Soo Junior Greyhounds logo.
"The Soo Greyhounds have long been supporters of the youth hockey organizations in the Sault and when approached we felt this was a great opportunity to standardize all of the youth travel hockey under one brand and to have a common image when these teams are travelling to other communities," stated Tim Lukenda, President and Governor of the Soo Greyhounds.
The trilateral partnership will take effect starting the 2019-20 season.
"The name Soo Greyhounds is significant and well respected throughout the hockey community. Sault Major Hockey Association is very excited about the relationship that we are building with such a successful junior hockey franchise and we are proud to be able to identify with their brand and share in their history" started SMHA President, Travis Merrett.
"The Greyhounds have consistently shown their commitment to our community and we, as an association, are very excited to be able to pay our respect and show our pride for such an incredible organization with the rebranding of our elite programs to the Soo Jr. Greyhounds. We are pleased to be able to share in this experience with the Sault Female Hockey Association and know that the Greyhound name and the city that it represents will continue to be showcased with quality and competitiveness" concluded Merrett.
"Girls hockey is one of the fastest growing sports, and as an association, we are excited to join with such an established and successful hockey club to further expand the support and success of girls hockey in our community and province" stated Beverly Gordon, SFHA President. "The Soo Greyhounds organization has supported SFHA's programs the past few years thru our participation in the 50/50 draws at home games. These proceeds are used to fund ice time for all our teams", added Gordon.
Beyond the licenced use of the Soo Junior Greyhounds logo, the organizations look forward to opportunities to partner in the development of both coaches and players with the assistance of Craig Hartsburg, board member of the OHL team.
Lukenda, Merrett and Gordon were instrumental in ensuring the seamless transition for this unique, one-of-a-kind partnership.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 12, 2019
- Spirit Cement Themselves as Winningest Team in 17-Year Team History - Saginaw Spirit
- Troops Turn Back Barrie - North Bay Battalion
- Saginaw Pulls away Late - Sarnia Sting
- Playoffs Hopes Slim After 6-2 Loss to Battalion - Barrie Colts
- Otters Fall to Steelheads 5-2 in Mississauga - Erie Otters
- Game Preview: Guelph Storm vs. London Knights - Guelph Storm
- Petes to Wrap up Regular Season Versus Ottawa 67's and Sudbury Wolves - Peterborough Petes
- Rangers' Greg Meireles named CHL Player of the Week - OHL
- Wolves Host Bulldogs in Final Regular Season Game Friday - Sudbury Wolves
- Joe Tomato's Weekend Preview - Week 26 - Owen Sound Attack
- Preview: Spirit Wrap up Season Series against Sting Tuesday in Sarnia - Saginaw Spirit
- Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Mississauga Steelheads
- Partnership Launches Jr. Greyhounds Brand for 2019-20 Season - Soo Greyhounds
- IceDogs Games this Week - March 12th - 18th - Niagara IceDogs
- Kitchener Rangers Playoff Tickets on Sale Today - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.