Parkinson Dominant; Claws Top Suns 2-0 on Monday
LAKEWOOD, NJ - David Parkinson threw seven scoreless innings, allowing just one hit, to lead the BlueClaws to a series-opening 2-0 win against Hagerstown on Monday at FirstEnergy Park.
Parkinson (4-1) faced the minimum 21 over his career-long outing. He matched his season-high with nine strikeouts in the win. Addison Russ got the last six outs to earn his league-leading eighth save of the season. Russ has either won (four) or saved (eight) 12 of the 23 BlueClaws wins this year.
The two pitchers combined on the BlueClaws' league-leading eighth shutout of the season.
The BlueClaws (23-19) got on the board in the third inning on an opposite field home run. It was Maton's third of the year and fifth as a professional.
That would be the only run the BlueClaws got off Jackson Tetreault, who went the first six.
The BlueClaws added a run in the seventh on a SAC fly from Gregori Rivero off reliever Jarred Brasher to go up 2-0.
Jake Scheiner, Maton, and Kevin Markham had two hits apiece for the BlueClaws in the win. Lakewood has now won eight of their last 12 games.
The teams continue their series on Tuesday night at 6:35 pm. RHP Ramon Rosso (1-0) starts for the BlueClaws opposite RHP Matthew DeRosier (1-1).
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher David Parkinson
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 21, 2018
- Santos' 2 Homers Intimidates Kannapolis - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Marcelino, Stephens Come up Big in Walk off Win - Asheville Tourists
- Columbia Battles West Virginia into Extras on Monday - Columbia Fireflies
- Mitchell's Go-Ahead Double Lifts Power to 3-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Sink RiverDogs - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Shutout in Kahnle's Rehab Appearance - Charleston RiverDogs
- Freeman Extends Hit Streak in 2-0 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Lexington Legends Take Game One over Rome Braves, 18-2 - Lexington Legends
- 'Dads Outlast 'Birds in 10-Inning Duel - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Walkoff Fever Continues: 'Dads Win in Extras - Hickory Crawdads
- Parkinson Dominant; Claws Top Suns 2-0 on Monday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (May 21) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 21 vs. West Virginia (Game 43) - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington Legends to Host A+ Teacher Appreciation Night - Lexington Legends
- Major Leaguer Tommy Kahnle to Make Rehab Start with RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Beer City Tourists Are Back this Thirsty Thursday - Asheville Tourists
- Jake Owen "Lie's Whatcha Make It" Tour Rescheduled - Augusta GreenJackets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.