Mitchell's Go-Ahead Double Lifts Power to 3-2 Win
COLUMBIA, S.C. - Blake Weiman tossed four scoreless innings of relief and Calvin Mitchell hit a go-ahead double in the 11th to score Chris Sharpe and lead the Power to a 3-2 victory over the Columbia Fireflies on Monday evening at Spirit Communication Park.
Weiman (1-0) earned the victory after tossing a career-high four innings, as he worked the eighth through the 11th innings and stranded four baserunners in extra innings.
Mitchell led off the 11th frame with his go-ahead double, roping his two-bagger to left-center off Columbia (22-21) reliever Taylor Henry (0-1) to plate Sharpe, who started the inning on second as the placed-on runner. The Power (24-17) now have 12 comeback wins in 2018.
West Virginia started their comeback effort in the ninth, as the Fireflies summoned Stephen Villines from the bullpen to try and finish off a 2-1 Columbia win. Instead, the reliever led off with five consecutive balls, walking Mitchell and later conceding a single to Deon Stafford that moved Mitchell to third. Mitchell scored from third two batters later as Rodolfo Castro blooped a single to left that tied the game at two apiece.
In his South Atlantic League debut, Max Kranick spun five shutout innings, allowing just two hits and a walk while striking out one in a no-decision. The right-hander faced 19 total batters, four above the minimum.
After both teams posted zeroes in the first five frames, Sharpe broke the scoreless tie in the top of the sixth inning after working a walk against Nicolas Debora. He advanced to third off a wild pitch from Debora and came in off a second wild pitch, all while Mitchell was at the dish.
Columbia stormed back in the seventh, however, as Matt Winaker led off with a triple into the right-field corner against Drew Fischer. He would later score on a groundout from Scott Manea to tie the game. Raphael Gladu was then hit by a pitch and swiped second base before Edgardo Fermin drove him in with a single to give the Fireflies a 2-1 lead.
The Power will continue their four-game series against the Columbia Fireflies on Tuesday evening, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. from Spirit Communications Park. LHP Domingo Robles (3-3, 3.15 ERA) will get the start for West Virginia, while Columbia's starter has yet to be announced. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com, via the TuneIn Radio App and the MiLB First Pitch App.
Following a four-game stint in South Carolina, the Power return home on May 25 for their final May homestand, as they take on the Kannapolis Intimidators from May 25-28 at Appalachian Power Park. The homestand kicks off with another postgame fireworks show on Friday evening, presented by Electric 102.7. The marquee event of this home stretch is on Saturday with Legends of Wrestling Night, sponsored by Mix 100.9 and The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, which includes a special appearance from Jim Ross and a sports duffel bag giveaway to the first 1,000 fans in attendance. $50 VIP packages are still available for purchase, where fans will receive a ticket to the game, a Perfect Game coupon that includes a hot dog, soda and a bag of chips, and access to a private meet-and-greet, autograph and photo session with Jim Ross. A Kidz Sunday Funday and a Family Buck Night wrap up the Power's final homestand before the team hits the road for Lexington, Kentucky. For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 21, 2018
- Santos' 2 Homers Intimidates Kannapolis - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Marcelino, Stephens Come up Big in Walk off Win - Asheville Tourists
- Columbia Battles West Virginia into Extras on Monday - Columbia Fireflies
- Mitchell's Go-Ahead Double Lifts Power to 3-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Sink RiverDogs - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Shutout in Kahnle's Rehab Appearance - Charleston RiverDogs
- Freeman Extends Hit Streak in 2-0 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Lexington Legends Take Game One over Rome Braves, 18-2 - Lexington Legends
- 'Dads Outlast 'Birds in 10-Inning Duel - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Walkoff Fever Continues: 'Dads Win in Extras - Hickory Crawdads
- Parkinson Dominant; Claws Top Suns 2-0 on Monday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (May 21) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 21 vs. West Virginia (Game 43) - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington Legends to Host A+ Teacher Appreciation Night - Lexington Legends
- Major Leaguer Tommy Kahnle to Make Rehab Start with RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Beer City Tourists Are Back this Thirsty Thursday - Asheville Tourists
- Jake Owen "Lie's Whatcha Make It" Tour Rescheduled - Augusta GreenJackets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.