Paredes, Polo Called up for International Matches
PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland Timbers midfielders Cristhian Paredes (Paraguay) and Andy Polo (Peru) have been called up by their respective national teams for friendly matches during the FIFA international break. Both players will return to the team ahead of Portland's first leg of the two-game, aggregate-goal Western Conference Championship in the Audi 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs against Sporting Kansas City at Providence Park on Sunday, Nov. 25.
Polo, 24, and Peru will host Ecuador at Estadio Nacional de Lima in Lima, Peru on Thursday, Nov. 15, beginning at 5:30 p.m. (Pacific), followed by a matchup against Costa Rica at Estadio Nacional de la UNSA in Arequipa, Peru, on Tuesday, Nov. 20; kickoff is set for 4:30 p.m. (Pacific). Paredes, 20, will join Paraguay for the Nelson Mandela Challenge, a friendly invitational match against South Africa at Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban, South Africa, on Tuesday, Nov. 20; kickoff is set for 9 a.m. (Pacific).
Upon returning from the 2018 FIFA World Cup, Polo was named to the Peru Men's National Team roster last month, logging 14 minutes in a 3-0 win against Chile at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Fla. on Oct. 12. Four days later, he played 90 minutes and recorded an assist in a 1-1 draw against the United States at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn. Since making his senior team debut in 2016, Polo has earned 18 caps for Peru.
Paredes has earned one cap for the Paraguay Men's National Team, coming on as a second-half substitute in a friendly against France on June 2, 2017.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 12, 2018
- Paredes, Polo Called up for International Matches - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC to Hold 2018 Alliance Annual Business Meeting Tomorrow Evening in the Ninety - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Unveils Its Major League Soccer Logo, Marks & Colors - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Named MLS Newcomer of the Year - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Named MLS Newcomer of the Year - MLS
- Darlington Nagbe Week-To-Week with Left Hamstring Strain - Atlanta United FC
- Five Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- RBNY Advance to Eastern Conference Championship for First Time Since 2015 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Continue Mobile Mini Sun Cup Play against New York Red Bulls Saturday Night
- Timbers Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivaic Undergoes Successful Surgery to Repair Left Tibial Stress Fracture
- Timbers Announce Broadcast Details for 2019 Season
- Timbers Open Mobile Mini Sun Cup against Seattle Sounders FC
- Heath, Franch, Sonnett Named to U.S. Women's National Team Roster for SheBelieves Cup