LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Named MLS Newcomer of the Year
LOS ANGELES (Monday, Nov. 12, 2018) - Major League Soccer today announced LA Galaxy forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been named the 2018 MLS Newcomer of the Year. The award recognizes the year's most impactful new MLS player who has prior professional experience. Ibrahimovic, who was named to the MLS Best XI yesterday, shone the brightest among a class of 200-plus star-studded newcomers that averaged 25 years of age and hailed from more than 40 countries.
Ibrahimovic took the league by storm in his first year with the LA Galaxy, finishing the season with 22 goals and 10 assists in 27 matches played, becoming the third player ever to post a 20-goal, 10-assist season in MLS history. The 32 combined goals and assists by Ibrahimovic meanwhile tie for the sixth most in league history. Ibrahimovic helped the Galaxy to a 9-2-4 record in matches where he scored a goal, beating out fellow standouts including English icon Wayne Rooney (D.C. United) and 23-year-old "Kaku" (New York Red Bulls) of Paraguay's National Team, among many others.
This season, Ibrahimovic joined Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi as the third active player to score 500 goals for club and country with an incredible roundhouse kick volley against Toronto FC on Sept. 15. The feat adds to an already illustrious career that includes titles with European giants, including FC Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and Inter Milan, among others. The hulking forward experienced a tremendous international career with the Sweden National Team, ranking first in the nation's history with 62 goals in his career while also starring in the 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups.
The Newcomer of the Year Award recognizes players with previous professional experience but who are in their first year playing in MLS, which makes rookies ineligible for consideration. Similarly, players eligible for Newcomer of the Year are ineligible for Rookie of the Year.
The award was voted on by MLS club technical staff, media, and current MLS players. Below is a breakdown of the voting results:
Newcomer of the Year Player Vote % Club Vote % Media Vote % Average %
Zlatan Ibrahimoviæ (LA) 34.99% 28.43% 45.65% 36.36%
Wayne Rooney (DC) 30.90% 34.31% 31.53% 32.25%
Carlos Vela (LFC) 12.54% 17.65% 10.21% 13.47%
Darwin Quintero (MIN) 6.41% 2.94% 4.20% 4.52%
Alejandro Romero Gamarra "Kaku" (RBNY) 1.46% 4.90% 3.00% 3.12%
Diego Rossi (LFC) 2.33% 4.90% 1.80% 3.01%
Johnny Russell (SKC) 4.08% 1.96% 1.50% 2.51%
MLS Newcomer of the Year Winners:
2018: Zlatan Ibrahimoviæ - LA Galaxy
2017: Miguel Almirón - Atlanta United
2016: Nicolás Lodeiro - Seattle Sounders FC
2015: Sebastian Giovinco - Toronto FC
2014: Pedro Morales - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
2013: Diego Valeri - Portland Timbers
2012: Federico Higuaín - Columbus Crew SC
2011: Mauro Rosales - Seattle Sounders FC
2010: Álvaro Saborío - Real Salt Lake
2009: Fredy Montero - Seattle Sounders FC
2008: Darren Huckerby - San Jose Earthquakes
2007: Luciano Emílio - D.C. United
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2019 Major League Soccer season are now available. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2019 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to secure Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 12, 2018
- Paredes, Polo Called up for International Matches - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC to Hold 2018 Alliance Annual Business Meeting Tomorrow Evening in the Ninety - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Unveils Its Major League Soccer Logo, Marks & Colors - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Named MLS Newcomer of the Year - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Named MLS Newcomer of the Year - MLS
- Darlington Nagbe Week-To-Week with Left Hamstring Strain - Atlanta United FC
- Five Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- RBNY Advance to Eastern Conference Championship for First Time Since 2015 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Announce Loans for Bradford Jamieson IV and Joao Pedro
- LA Galaxy and Dignity Health Sports Park Name El Silencio Their Exclusive Mezcal Partner
- LA Galaxy Partner with On the Ball to Provide Complimentary Feminine Hygiene Products
- LA Galaxy Unveil 2019 Night Navy Kit at the Novo at L.A. LIVE
- LA Galaxy Cup Returns to Orange County Great Park