Paredes Overpowers Cardinals in 3-0 Win
CORPUS CHRISTI - Right-hander Enoli Paredes returned to his dominant ways Friday, tossing 6.0 shutout innings to lead the Hooks to a 3-0 win over the Springfield Cardinals in game two of a four-game set.
Paredes, rated Houston's No. 25 prospect by MLB.com, struck out nine in his strong showing, scattering just three hits and a pair of walks.
The Cardinals loaded the bases in the fourth against Paredes, but he fanned Chase Pinder with a 98mph fastball to get out of the jam. Paredes (W, 1-1) went on to strike out the side in the sixth to end his night.
The 23-year-old has now thrown 10.0 scoreless innings with 14 strikeouts through two outings at Whataburger Field.
All of Corpus Christi's scoring came in the third against Springfield southpaw Austin Warner. Ronnie Dawson lifted one to the opposite field for a two-run shot (11), his second in as many games. Abraham Toro took the next pitch from Warner (L, 4-6) into the Hooks bullpen for the 3-0 lead and final.
Joe Smith, making his first rehab appearance since rupturing his Achilles tendon in December, struck out the side in order in the seventh. The Houston reliever needed just 17 pitches to do so.
Collin McHugh, making his second rehab appearance with the Hooks from Houston, threw only nine pitches to retire his scheduled two batters, including a strikeout of Jose Martinez. Colin McKee (S, 6) finished off the final 1.1 innings for the win. Hooks pitchers got the last 12 Cardinals batters to close the game.
The Hooks eye a series win Saturday at 7:15 p.m. with Houston's George Springer expected to play after a scheduled day off Friday. The first 1,750 fans at Whataburger Field will receive a Coastal Bend Hooks Hiking Backpack, presented by the Port of Corpus Christi. Carson LaRue (1-3, 5.15) is slated for Corpus Christi against Alex FaGalde (1-0, 0.00).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 21, 2019
- Travs Win Fourth Straight - Arkansas Travelers
- Paredes Paces Hooks to 3-0 Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Late Homers, Solid Pitching Power Soddies to Win - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Amarillo Snaps the Drillers Unbeaten Start - Tulsa Drillers
- Quality Start from Phillips Leads Riders to Second Straight Win - Frisco RoughRiders
- Homers Not Enough as Naturals Defeated by Riders - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Paredes Overpowers Cardinals in 3-0 Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Late Grand Slam Lifts Travs over Hounds - Midland RockHounds
- DeCarlo Slams Travs Past RockHounds - Arkansas Travelers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.