Otters Go Wire-To-Wire in Win over Boomers
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - The Evansville Otters plated seven runs in the first two innings and never looked back from there in a 7-4 victory over the Schaumburg Boomers on Saturday night at Bosse Field in front of 4,096 fans.
Evansville jumped head with four runs in the first inning. Brant Whiting got the scoring started with an RBI fielder's choice and Jeff Gardner followed him with an RBI single. Zach Welz brought home the third run of the frame with a sacrifice fly and Hunter Cullen capped off the inning with an RBI single.
The Otters piled on three more runs in the second. Travis Harrison contributed an RBI single and then Ryan Long scored on a wild pitch. Austin Bush drove in the third run of the inning with a sacrifice fly.
Schaumburg got on the board in the fourth on a Clint Hardy two-run double.
The Boomers continued to climb back into the game with two more runs in the top of the sixth. Collin Ferguson hit a solo homer to open the inning and then Jack Parenty brought home another tally with an RBI single to right.
The Otters bullpen battened down the hatches however, as in the final 3.1 innings they did not allow a run to seal the win. Mitch Aker pitched the ninth, allowing just one walk, en route to his eighteenth save of the season.
Spencer Medick is credited with the win for the Otters, his fourth on the year. Medick went 5.2 innings, allowing four runs on 10 hits while striking out two.
Joe Hauser is hung with the loss for Schaumburg. Hauser allowed seven runs across 7.1 innings, while giving up seven hits.
The Otters and Boomers will wrap up their series tomorrow afternoon at 2:05 p.m. at Bosse Field which will feature a Sunday Fun Day with Bark in the Park presented by Meijer, It Takes a Village.
Coverage of the series can be found on WUEV 91.5 FM presented by Kruckemeyer & Cohn with Sam Jellinek (play-by-play) and Bill McKeon (analyst) on the call.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 4, 2018
- Grizzlies Offense Sputters in 2-0 Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Go Wire-To-Wire in Win over Boomers - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Can't Overcome Early Hole - Schaumburg Boomers
- Wild Things Drop Middle Game 14-3 - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Tee-Off on Wild Things in Game 2 - River City Rascals
- Seven-Run Sixth Propels ThunderBolts to Victory - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers Take Series over Florence - Florence Freedom
- Big Inning Dooms Miners at Windy City - Southern Illinois Miners
- Offense Carries Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Belted by Normal - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Washington Makes Move in Bullpen - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Evansville Otters Stories
- Otters Seek Host Families for 25th Anniversary Season
- Otters Bring Back Cable, Beardsley, Cullen and Gould
- Otters Announce Additions to Front Office Staff for 2019 Season
- Otters Sign Seeburger, Wood; Acquire Browne
- 2019 Frontier League Tryout and Draft Set for April 23-24