Otters Drop Series Opener to River City
O'FALLON, Mo. - The Evansville Otters dropped a tight ballgame 4-3 to the River City Rascals as River City picked up the wire-to-wire victory on Friday night at CarShield Field.
River City plated two runs in the first inning to take an early lead. Paul Kronenfeld hit an RBI single and Braxton Martinez followed that up with a two out RBI knock of his own.
Evansville got one back in the third on a sacrifice fly from J.J Gould.
River City restored their two-run lead with an RBI double from Martinez in the bottom of the third.
Mike Rizzitello doubled home a run in the top of the fifth to bring Evansville to within one run.
Jeff Gardner tied the game in the top of the sixth with a solo homer, his seventh of the season.
Paul Kronenfeld put River City back in front with a solo homer of his own in the bottom of the sixth.
That home run proved to be the difference with River City clinching the 4-3 victory thanks to Cody Mincey striking out the side in the ninth for the save.
Ryan Orr gets the win for River City after working a scoreless inning out of the bullpen.
Austin Nicely gets hung with the loss, his fourth of the year. Nicely went 5.2 innings, allowing four runs on 11 hits while punching out four.
River City starter Jonny Ortiz did not factor into the decision. He tossed 5.2 innings, allowing three runs on eight hits and collected five strike outs.
The series continues tomorrow when the two squads square off again at 6:35 p.m. at CarShield Field for the second game of the series.
Coverage of the series can be found on WUEV 91.5 FM presented by Kruckemeyer & Cohn with Sam Jellinek (play-by-play) on the call.
Evansville returns to Bosse Field on July 31 to face the Joliet Slammers which kicks off a six game homestand.
Fans can also follow Otters social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for game updates."¨ "¨The Evansville Otters are the 2006 and 2016 Frontier League champions. Season tickets, group outing packages, and single game tickets are on sale now for the 2018 season.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 27, 2018
- Rascals Take Opener over Otters - River City Rascals
- Brown Homers Twice, But Grizzlies Lose - Gateway Grizzlies
- Homers Lift Boomers to Comeback Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Washington Takes Opener Behind Quick Start - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Drop Game 1 in Pivotal Series with Schaumburg - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Drop Series Opener to River City - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Comeback Falls Just Short - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers win third straight at home in 5-3 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Fall in Opener at Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Washington Signs Infielder Ramsey Romano - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Win Third Straight, Sweep River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- Santos Powers Grizzlies to Series Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Complete Sweep of Rascals - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.