Brown Homers Twice, But Grizzlies Lose
NORMAL, Ill. - Blake Brown hit two home runs in his return to his hometown Friday night, but the Gateway Grizzlies lost, 11-6, in the series opener to the Normal CornBelters at The Corn Crib.
Brown's first homer gave Gateway (28-38) a two-run lead in the first inning, but Normal (31-30) immediately scored four in the bottom of the first to take a lead of its own. The CornBelters rattled off 11 straight runs before the Grizzlies scored again.
Gateway's third run came on a two-out, solo homer from Brown in the sixth to give him a dozen this season. Justin Ellison followed with a two-run shot later in the inning.
Alec Kisena (4-4) took the loss for the Grizzlies. Nelson Martz threw a scoreless inning in his professional debut and Patrick Boyle tossed two hitless frames.
Gateway and Normal will battle in game two of their weekend series Saturday at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 27, 2018
- Rascals Take Opener over Otters - River City Rascals
- Brown Homers Twice, But Grizzlies Lose - Gateway Grizzlies
- Homers Lift Boomers to Comeback Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Washington Takes Opener Behind Quick Start - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Drop Game 1 in Pivotal Series with Schaumburg - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Drop Series Opener to River City - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Comeback Falls Just Short - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers win third straight at home in 5-3 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Fall in Opener at Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Washington Signs Infielder Ramsey Romano - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Win Third Straight, Sweep River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- Santos Powers Grizzlies to Series Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Complete Sweep of Rascals - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.