Otters Come Through in the Clutch to Earn Doubleheader Split with Normal
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - The Evansville Otters managed a split of their doubleheader with the Normal CornBelters, losing the first game 7-4, but rebounding to win the second game 3-2, on Thursday night at Bosse Field in front of 1,263 fans.
Chris Iriart opened the scoring in the first game with a solo homer in the second to put Normal up 1-0.
The CornBelters tacked on another run in the third on a Santiago Chirino RBI single.
Evansville got on the board in the bottom of the third when Travis Harrison doubled home Ryan Long.
Cody Erickson got that run back and one more with a two-run double in the top of the fourth. Michael Baca then brought Erickson home with a double of his own to make the score 5-1 in favor of Normal.
The Otters stormed back with three runs to make it a one-run game in the bottom of the fourth. David Cronin brought home a run with a single and Long followed him with an RBI groundout. Harrison capped off the frame with an RBI single.
Normal pulled away with two runs in the sixth, taking a 7-4 lead. A Long throwing error brought home a run and then James Davison Jr. drove home a man with a sacrifice fly.
Jonathan De Marte came on in the seventh and induced a double play to end the game as Normal won the first game of the doubleheader 7-4.
Jack Landwehr gets the victory for the CornBelters. Landwehr went five innings allowing nine hits, four runs, two walks, while punching out two batters.
Spencer Medick is dealt the loss for the Otters, his second of the year. Medick worked five innings, giving up seven hits, six runs, while walking three and striking out three.
The Otters would battle back to win the second game of the doubleheader and force a split of the twin bill.
Normal again scored first, as in the second game Cameron Adams plated two runs with a single to get the CornBelters out in front.
Evansville tied the game with back-to-back two out RBI hits in the third. Harrison singled home a run and Jeff Gardner tripled home Harrison to tie the score at 2-2.
In his first game as an Otter, Taylor Lane singled home the go-ahead run in the sixth to push Evansville on top 3-2.
Alex Phillips came on and struck out Davison Jr. with the tying run at second to end the game and net Phillips his fourth save on the year and give Evansville the 3-2 win.
Randy Wynne earns his eighth victory of the season after throwing six innings, giving up two runs on five hits and striking out nine.
Nick Bozman is handed the loss for Normal. Bozman went 5.1 innings allowing three runs on three hits while walking eight batters.
The Otters will now hit the road to take on the Florence Freedom in a weekend series at UC Health Stadium starting tomorrow at 7:05 p.m.
Coverage of the series with the Freedom can be found on WUEV 91.5 FM presented by Kruckemeyer & Cohn with Sam Jellinek the call.
Fans can also follow Otters social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for game updates.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 16, 2018
- CornBelters Split Doubleheader with Otters - Normal CornBelters
- Otters Come Through in the Clutch to Earn Doubleheader Split with Normal - Evansville Otters
- Washington's Win Clinches Sixth-Straight Series Victory - Washington Wild Things
- Dubsky, Bonfield Lead Miners to Shutout Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Blanked by Miners in Finale - River City Rascals
- Home Woes Continue - Lake Erie Crushers
- Bums Comeback Falls Short against Washington - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts Split Twin Bill in a Pair of One-Run Games - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Late Rally Sends Boomers to a Split - Schaumburg Boomers
- Crushers Announce Playoff Pass Availability - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Triumph in Ninth over Freedom - Florence Freedom
- Santos, Grizzlies Win on Walk-Off - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.