Osprey Make Late Push in 5-3 Win over the Owlz
OREM - After five scoreless innings, things picked up at plate in Missoula's 5-3 win over Orem.
Hector Yan and the Owlz kept the Osprey scoreless in the opening inning. Orem couldn't score either though and the score remained tied at 0-0 after the first.
The Owlz strong pitching and fielding continued into the second and third inning. An acrobatic catch by first baseman Connor Fitzsimons kept the Osprey out of scoring contention. Neither the Owlz nor the Osprey could score in the second or third keeping the score at 0-0.
Robinson Pina took over pitching duties to start the fourth. Pina relieved the starter. In his three innings at the mound, Yan recorded three strikeouts and one hit.
Orem's Jordyn Adams hit a double to center field in the bottom of the fourth. Adams got to third after Kevin Maitan grounded out, but Adams failed to get any closer to home plate. Both teams remained scoreless after five.
The stalemate was finally broken in the top of the sixth when Zack Shannon doubled on a line drive to center field. Shannon's big hit scored Alek Thomas and Blaze Alexander. The scarce runs gave the Osprey a 2-0 lead.
Nonie Williams brought the Owlz back in the game in the bottom of the seventh. Williams tripled by smashing a ball to center field. Once Williams was at third, he snuck into home after a wild pitch from Mailon Arroyo.
Missoula spread the lead up to four in the top of the eighth thanks to a Zack Shannon homer. The homer scored Thomas and Zachery Almond.
Orem started blasting the ball in the bottom of eighth. First, Adams doubled on a hit down right field to score Jeremiah Jackson. Then Kevin Maitan beamed a ball down center field. Missoula threw the ball over home plate allowing Adams to score and Maitan to get to second. Missoula led 5-3 to end the eighth.
The ninth inning featured no more runs as the Owlz lost their second straight to the Osprey.
Orem will face Missoula for the fourth and final time tomorrow at the Home of the Owlz. The game will start at 4:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Brewers Slam Rockies to Snap Losing Streak - Helena Brewers
- Chukars' Offense Explodes for Series Split - Great Falls Voyagers
- Osprey Take the Series in Orem After Sunday Victory - Missoula Osprey
- Raptors Score Big Late to Avoid Sweep, Beat Mustangs 15-11 - Billings Mustangs
- Chukars Erase Five-Run Deficit to Beat Voyagers - Great Falls Voyagers
- Chukars Win Wild Gane 12-10 - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Raptors Suffer First Walk-Off Loss - Ogden Raptors
- Osprey Make Late Push in 5-3 Win over the Owlz - Orem Owlz
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.