Osprey Take the Series in Orem After Sunday Victory
MISSOULA, MONT - The Missoula Osprey (28-25, 9-6) grabbed a 3-1 series victory after defeating the Orem Owlz (15-38, 3-12) 9-6 Sunday afternoon at the Home of the Owlz. Zack Shannon and David Sanchez each had two hits and drove in multiple runs.
Missoula applied pressure on Orem starter Cole Duensing after loading the bases with two singles and a walk. However, the Osprey scored just one run after Zack Shannon grounded into a double play to plate Thomas and give Missoula 1-0 lead.
In the bottom of the second, Orem jumped on Osprey starter Marcos Tineo as Nonie Williams launched a two- run homer to give the Owlz their first lead 2-1.
The Osprey wasted no time in taking the lead back as Alek Thomas led off the third with a solo home run. Blaze Alexander followed him with a single, and Shannon doubled him home to give Missoula a 3-2 lead.
The Osprey offense continued their pace with two more hits in the fourth, one coming on a two-run home run by David Sanchez, his first of the season. Missoula also scored a run on an Orem error to push its lead to 6-2.
Thomas led off the sixth for Missoula with a single while Alexander followed him with a double. Shannon drove home Thomas on the sacrifice fly and Eddie Hernandez doubled in Alexander to push the Osprey in front 8-2.
Orem cut the lead to four in the bottom of the seventh on a sacrifice fly and RBI single from David Clawson to make it an 8-4 game. With the bases loaded in the eighth, Connor Fitzsimons grounded out to score another run for the Owlz to pull within 8-5 but Orem left two men on base.
After a two-out walk to Cesar Garcia and a stolen base, Sanchez doubled home Garcia to widen the Osprey lead to 9-5 in the top of the ninth.
Bryan Menendez entered for Missoula in the bottom of the ninth and allowed a run, but closed the game out for his seventh save on the season. Erinn Baldwin (2-2) earned the victory after tossing four innings and allowing two runs to the Owlz. Cole Duensing (0-9) is tagged with the loss for the ninth consecutive game.
Missoula heads to Grand Junction, Colorado to begin a three-game series with the Rockies Monday at 6:40 pm. The Selway Armory Pregame show begins at 6:30 pm on 102.9 ESPN Missoula and the MiLB First Pitch App.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Brewers Slam Rockies to Snap Losing Streak - Helena Brewers
- Chukars' Offense Explodes for Series Split - Great Falls Voyagers
- Osprey Take the Series in Orem After Sunday Victory - Missoula Osprey
- Raptors Score Big Late to Avoid Sweep, Beat Mustangs 15-11 - Billings Mustangs
- Chukars Erase Five-Run Deficit to Beat Voyagers - Great Falls Voyagers
- Chukars Win Wild Gane 12-10 - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Raptors Suffer First Walk-Off Loss - Ogden Raptors
- Osprey Make Late Push in 5-3 Win over the Owlz - Orem Owlz
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Missoula Osprey Stories
- Osprey to Host Job Fair for Summer Employment on Saturday
- SWX TV Deal, Fireworks Nights, Single Game Tickets on Sale
- Osprey Announce Promotional Giveaways for 2019
- Osprey and SWX Announce Deal to Broadcast All Osprey Home Games Statewide
- Osprey Announce 2019 Fireworks Dates