Osprey Comeback Falls Short against Chukars
IDAHO FALLS, ID - The Missoula Osprey(2-3) got the tying run to the plate in the ninth but ultimately, were defeated by the Idaho Falls Chukars(5-0) by a final score of 6-4.
The Chukars, for the second straight game, took the lead in the first inning. Tonight, it was a grand slam by Michael Emodi, giving Idaho Falls a 4-0 lead. In the second, Clay Dungan hit an RBI double then scored on a Jose Marquez RBI single, making it a 6-0 game.
In the top of the fifth, Cesar Garcia led off with a double into right field. Carson Maxwell and Luvin Valbuena followed with walks to load the bases with nobody out. Kevin Lachance would walk as well, putting a run on the board for Missoula. Maxwell came in to score on a double play then Valbuena scampered home on a wild pitch, pulling the Osprey within three.
David Sanchez led off the top of the ninth with a triple that banged off the left-center field wall. HE came in to score when Cesar Garcia grounded to third. Maxwell followed with a walk but was quickly picked off to end to Osprey comeback bid.
Marlin Willis picks up the win for Idaho Falls to move to 1-0. He came out of the bullpen and threw two perfect innings. Denson Hull is dealt the loss going 1.1 innings, allowed six runs, five earned, on five hits a hit-by-pitch, while fanning one. He falls to 0-1. Jaret Hellinger nabs his first save of the season in spite of giving up a run in the ninth.
Tomorrow night, the Osprey and Chukars will get together to close out this week's three game set. Wilfry Cruz gets his second start of the season for the Osprey, looking for his second win of the year. First pitch is at 7:15pm, with the pregame beginning at 7pm on ESPN Missoula.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from June 19, 2019
- Early Offense Vaults Chukars to Fifth Straight Win - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Voyagers' Offense Too Much for Mustangs in 11-5 Loss - Billings Mustangs
- Ogden Mows Down Orem - Ogden Raptors
- Owlz Drop Fourth Straight - Orem Owlz
- Junction Avoids Sweep with 9-0 Shutout - Grand Junction Rockies
- Voyagers Clip Billings in Extras - Great Falls Voyagers
- Osprey Comeback Falls Short against Chukars - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Mustangs Fall Short in Extras for Second Straight Game - Billings Mustangs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.