Ortiz, Scheiner Homer, But Claws Fall 5-3 at Hickory
HICKORY, NC - Yonny Hernandez had three hits and two RBIs and DeMarcus Evans got the last eight outs as Hickory topped the BlueClaws 5-3 on Friday night from LP Frans Stadium.
The Crawdads (36-24/66-62) pull back to within 2.5 games of the BlueClaws (38-21/79-49) in the SAL North with 10 games remaining after Lakewood took the first game of the series on Thursday night.
Jake Scheiner homered in the first and Jhailyn Ortiz homered in the third for Lakewood, each hitting a solo home run for their 12th long ball of the year, putting the BlueClaws up 2-1.
Hickory took the lead with two runs in the third. they tied the game on Yonny Hernandez's RBI double and then took a 3-2 lead on Ryan Dorow's RBI single.
Tyreque Reed took Andrew Brown deep in the fifth inning for a 5-2 advantage. It was Reed's 15th home run of the year.
The BlueClaws threatened in the top of the fifth, but reliever Jean Casanova came on to strike out Jake Scheiner with two on base to end the inning.
Crawdads starter Tyree Thompson gave up two runs in 4.2 innings with four strikeouts and three walks. He did not factor in the decision. Lakewood's Brown came out after 4.2 innings, allowing a season-high five runs on four hits and three walks.
Lakewood got a run back off Jean Casanova in the seventh courtesy of a Matt Vierling RBI single, but after DeMarcus Evans relieved Jean Casanova, Vierling was thrown out trying to advance to third on a ball in the dirt to end the threat.
Evans got the last eight outs to earn the win, improving to 3-1. He struck out four.
Tyler Fallwell gave up one hit and struck out a season high six over 3.1 innings of scoreless relief for the BlueClaws.
Vierling had two hits for Lakewood and is now 21-63 in August.
The teams continue their four-game series on Saturday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Julian Garcia (6-3) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Hans Crouse (0-1).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 24, 2018
- Power Overcome Rocky First in Win at Rome - West Virginia Power
- Tempers Flare as GreenJackets Blowout Intimidators - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Defeat Drive in Extras on Friday - Greenville Drive
- 'Dads Rally to Even Series against Lakewood - Hickory Crawdads
- Garcia Delivers Walk-Off Single for RiverDogs in Extras against Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Cruise Behind Big Second - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Comes From Behind To Get 6-4 Win - Rome Braves
- Lexington Eclipses Hagerstown in 11-1 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Bats Outslug Tourists Again - Asheville Tourists
- Ortiz, Scheiner Homer, But Claws Fall 5-3 at Hickory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Manea Homers, Offense Sizzles Again in Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Fall 11-1 on Friday - Hagerstown Suns
- Shorebirds' 5-Run 2nd Topples Grasshoppers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 24 vs. Asheville (Game 123) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 24) - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Rogers Ready to Roll Tonight - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.